Chinese Shops – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

Chinese Shops

Page 1 / 4

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@aquarius)
Trusted Member

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is true that the Chinese shops, of which there are hundreds in Portugal, do not contribute to income tax etc. In Portugal? I was told this by a doctor in the social services office in Figeuiro. I have an issue with these shops as the goods they sell are sub standard and every one I have dealt with (I no longer support them) is unpleasant and seem devious. Not sure that this is the place to start this discussion, but I had to start somewhere. I would rather spend a bit more and support a locally owned business than help one of the Chinese.

18 Replies

VIP Member
(@peterfc)
Famed Member

Hi

In Gois, Arganil and Lousa the Chinese shops i use are very good and as helpful as a normal Portuguese shop. The trays i have that i display my Spices on came from a Chinese shop and after 4 years are still in great condition.

But if you don't support them why come onto a Forum to give them a good kicking. The wooly hat i have on my head and slippers on my feet are as good as i would expect anywhere.

As for income tax do you really think Portugal would allow a trader to not pay tax? I pay tax and i only go to three markets a month.

Peter

VIP Member
(@fleurishi)
Noble Member

When they first started springing up in my neck of the woods, I was told they don't have to pay IMPORT tax and that's why things are much cheaper. I see them as locally owned shops, run by people also providing for their families and like popping in every now and then. "My" Chinese shop workers are very friendly. Although I don't buy electrical goods there any more as they don't seem to last very long, they are great for odds and sods.....

moi
VIP Member
(@moi)
Reputable Member

I've used a Chinese shop in Arganil when I needed a 'phone charger. Really helpful and got exactly what I needed-still works fine.

VIP Member
(@janatquintanet)
Estimable Member

Have used Chinese shops that are mostly friendly & one or two that were not. Same as anywhere else really. A few bad, others not so. Suggesting Twitter is the place for this kind of discussion anyway.

Page 1 / 4

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€37 / €347 Month / Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€17 / €97 Month / Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online