Democracy, Politics, and Government in Portugal – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Democracy, Politics...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Democracy, Politics, and Government in Portugal  

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@dbertram1)

I recently came across an article from the Economist regarding the democratic index. This index ranked Portugal as the 22nd most democratic country in the world and is considered a full democracy, while the U.S. was ranked at 25th and considered a flawed democracy (this rank sounded to high to me). I shared this information with someone living in Portugal who is more well informed on the topic. She shared with me a more thorough report called the V-Dem report which had some very different results. Portugal ranked 6th, neighboring Spain in 8th, the U.S. in 28th, and the U.K. in 12th.

I found this information quite interesting and I would find it fascinating to hear a political comparison and contrasts between the U.S. and Portugal. I’ve found countless vlogs, podcasts, and materials explaining Spain’s government, politics, and how it compares to the U.S. but I, unfortunately, have had little to no luck on finding similar content regarding Portugal.

Speaking of Spain, I noticed that Spain ranked 18th on the democratic index for 2020 and 8th on the V-Dem report. I was shocked after all of the political scandals, the tension between parties, and the corruption I read about.

I do believe it’s important for Americans to understand how the Portuguese governments function, the political field they will integrate into and how these differ from what we are accustomed to back in the states. I would love to hear well-informed person's input on the political field, governmental structure, and thoughts on this topic in Portugal.

I've attached both the https://www.v-dem.net/en/analysis/PanDem/ report and the https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/01/22/global-democracy-has-another-bad-year Economist’s report.

6 Replies

Community Member
(@jeanne)

The U.S. a flawed democracy?  We have this week almost lost our democracy altogether. So a ranking at 25 is being generous. I would also be interested to read a comparison with PT. 

4 Replies
Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@cabanastavira)

This article provides background, @dbertram1, for expats of all nationalities. Hope it helps.

https://www.portugal.gov.pt/pt/gc21/portugal/democracia

Hope it helps.

Community Member
(@jeanne)

@cabanastavira. Thank you for the link. Does Portugal have right wing broadcasters like Fox News in the US?

Premium Member
(@frozenrope8gmail-com)

Trusted Member

@jeanne I hope not.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@cabanastavira)

Sorry, I don't know!

Premium Member
(@longhornlady)
Eminent Member

I think that by now the U.S. would be lighter blue than the 2019 map shows!

Ei! Migration Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you renew your membership.

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online