Driving in portugal on a UK license – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Driving in portugal...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

[Solved] Driving in portugal on a UK license

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@steph88)

Hello everyone 

So I'm a bit confused about driving in portugal on a uk license now that the UK has left the EU...

Can someone please explain whether its possible to do, or would I have to retake my driving test in order to get a Portuguese driving license? 

I'm really baffled as I can't seem to fund a definitive answer online. Any help??

7 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

Hi there. If you're legally resident in Portugal, you are required to change your license to continue driving here.  The following link has a video about the process

If you are not legally resident, this does not apply when, for example, renting a car.

5 Replies
Premium Member
(@steph88)

@thomasribatejo

Thank you! This has cleared things up somewhat 🙂

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@thomasribatejo Hi, do you know if anyone has completed this process recently?

I have paid for my licence exchange and i was about to post the driving licence today when i received 3 odd automated messages from IMT followed by a message asking me to repeat the whole processs over again (linking back to the original form), stating i need to also include the SEF Brexit residency document + EU residency document during the application process as i was resident before the brexit date. 

My concern is posting the licence back if they are not expecting it, and the licence is not accounted for and lost, then it will be impossible to replace to get it exchanged (as far as i know).

I tried calling the IMT in Faro on the number that @peggie had posted in another thread, however the number appears to be disconnected.

@Steph88 did you have any luck?

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

@rocketracoon I'm afraid I don't know. I did mine under the old, in-person process, so I would be guessing and probably wrong if I inferred more. I would generally suggest visiting an IMT office/desk, but I am not sure whether that's currently possible.

I hope another member here may have more information on/experience of the new, online process.

Community Member
(@sonia)

Trusted Member

@rocketracoon 

At this time the IMT page does not list any phone number for the Faro office, they have a Call Center das 09h00 às 17h00 – 210 488 488 in Lisboa and an email for the IMT Faro drmt_algarve@imt-ip.pt Horário de Funcionamento: 09:00 - 16:00 dias úteis (Feriado 7 Setembro) 

You can book online or through email marc.agendamentos@imt-ip.pt

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@sonia @thomasribatejo thank you both. Minor update: I found the number @Sonia mentioned above when manually booking on the above email address. After speaking to someone on the phone it appears all is ok and on on track according to the video @thomasribatejo originally posted  and the automated emails are somewhat incorrect / misleading.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Thomas has given the info for exchanging a UK driving licence, as for the validity of driving in Portugal on a UK licence it does depend on whether you are a resident of Portugal or not.

For non-residents it's 185 days.

For residents it's 90 days from becoming resident but whilst the licence ceases to be valid for driving from day 91 it can be exchanged for a PT licence (without taking a PT driving test) for up to 2 years from becoming resident.

NOTE - The time limits usually applicable to residents are currently suspended from being applied to UK issued driving licences by Lei 25-B/2021 until midnight on the 31st December 2021. Non-residents remain subject to the 185 day validity limit.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online