Driving Licence when does the 90 days start – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Driving Licence whe...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Driving Licence when does the 90 days start

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@drjohn)

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me please, on a question about exchanging our driving licenses.

We have a villa in Portugal, we have a Registration Certificate of the citizens of the EU (Certificado de Registo de Cidadao) which we obtained at the beginning of November. We are still in the UK and cannot permanently move to Portugal until spring when we will become tax resident.

My question is does the 90 days start with the Certificado de Registo de Cidadao or tax residency?

I guess is I am confused as to when residency starts

I have referred to this from the IMTT but its not clear to me http://www.imt-ip.pt/sites/IMTT/Portugues/Noticias/Documents/2019/Noticia-Brexit-Cartas%20de%20Condu%C3%A7%C3%A3o-Driving%20Licences/FAQ%27s%20-%20Brexit%20%20ENG%20v2.pdf

Thanks

36 Replies

Community Member
(@chrisc)

I would like to know the same question too as I am in a near identical situation to you. I received my CRUE on the 10th November, and am now back in the UK until December 28th. I need a utente number to get the medical required to exchange the license but this is proving difficult because of the backlog. 

As I understand, we have 90 days from the issue date of the CRUE, so in our cases, we have until the start/middle of February to begin the exchange process. 

Can anyone confirm this with clarity? 

Premium Member
(@peggyl)
Reputable Member

The 90 days starts on the date that you are issued your resident card. However, that said, the time limit has been temporarily extended to 2 years from the date you get your resident card because of covid and the fact that they cannot process all the applications fast enough. 

As long as you have an email of other written proof that you have made an appointment with the IMT office, you can even go beyond the 2 years. This is what we were told when we went into the IMT office to get our license exchanged and one of the papers from the states is incorrect. We have already been 4 months trying to get it reissued correctly. But we have all our paperwork in the car and if we are stopped. we were told by IMT to show it to the GNR.

@peggyL

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

There has been a lot of confusion over this, including by IMT staff, since the new law came in force in February of this year, not helped by IMT leaving on their website the document contained in the original post which is out of date, the current document is well hidden on their website and only in Portuguese.

The current up to date document 

A non EU driving licence (UK one after 31/12/20) is only valid as a licence to drive for 90 days from the date of issue of your resident's permit/certificate (Article 125 of the Código da Estrada).

However whilst it is no longer permits you to drive from day 91, it can still be exchanged for a Portuguese licence without the need to take a Portuguese driving test for up to 2 years from the date of issue of the resident's permit/certificate (Artlcle 128 of the Código da Estrada).

The IMT online portal explains it simply but I thought I would explain why people have got confused because two different legal articles are in play, and only one of them was changed to 2 years (done so to bring such licences into parity with expired Portuguese driving licences).

IMT online portal

Only if you have started the exchange process and have been issued the temporary driving permit, or already have a Portuguese driving licence law 87-A/2020 has extended the expiry date as Peggy has pointed out above in her second paragraph.
The blanket extension in those circumstances is until 31/3/21 and is further extended to 31/10/21 if an appointment for renewal has been scheduled. It only applies to Portuguese driving licences and temporary driving permits issued by IMT when the exchange process is started.

My apologies for going on a bit, but there are a lot of Brits (and Americans) being incorrectly advised that Covid means they now have 2 years before they need to exchange their licence. If they became a registered resident before 2/10/20 they are going to find themselves unlicensed from 01/01/21 if they follow that incorrect advice.

7 Replies
Community Member
(@chrisc)

@old-bloke

This is really helpful advice, so thanks personally for taking the time to reply to make this a lot clearer. If I use my current situation as an example: 

Residency Certificate issued on 11th November 2020. 

This means that I have until 10th February 2021 to 'begin' the exchange process on the IMT website under the following link: 

IMT Exchange Process

I will have to complete the form, have the medical, and submit the documents to the IMT to guarantee the successful exchange of my license which I will receive in 2021 - I assume they contact us to make an appointment to visit in person to collect new license / have photos taken etc?

I can begin the process now, but there are two things that somewhat impede this: 

1 - I need to get a medical (easy) 
2 - I had a motorcycle test booked (in the UK) before I got residency in Portugal which was cancelled because of COVID and has been rescheduled for late-December. As I am aware, technically I am not allowed to take this test now that I am resident, but by not doing so would mean that I would be in a position to have to do this in Portugal at sometime when my Portuguese is at a standard where I can sit the exam / take the test. 

- The long-shot question I have is could I (hypothetically) take the test in the UK in late December, pass it, and begin the process with the IMT in time for the exchange which would (should I pass) have a motorcycle entitlement that could be carried across. 

Thanks again and apologies for somewhat hijacking the post! 

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@chrisc

Yes, IMT will contact you with a time and date to attend for your biometric data to be taken (photograph and signature).

Re your hypothetical question,
Whilst it would be possible to do so, I can identify some possible pitfalls.
A - You would need to apply for a new UK licence to have your motorcycle pass added, it is illegal to apply for a UK licence if you are not a UK resident with penalities of a fine of up to £2500 and revocation of your licence.
B - When you come to exchange IMT may pick up the fact your UK bike qualification was obtained after you became a PT resident (the date of your CRUE) so may refuse to accept it.  

The PT theory test can be done in English (you have to ask for it) but you are possibly exempt as you already hold a car licence.
Some driving schools are also authorised to conduct the practical test, they may have English speaking staff and might be amicable to converse in English during the test as they're testing your ability to ride a motorcycle, not your language skills.

Community Member
(@chrisc)

@old-bloke

Great, you've alleviated all the stress and doubt that I have been feeling recently about the entire process. I was on the fence about taking the motorcycle test in the UK because of the very reasons you have mentioned. I think with you confirming my doubts, I will indeed cancel these tests altogether and look to obtain the motorcycle test in Portugal at sometime in the near future knowing that this could be an option (to sit in English).

I do hope that my Portuguese would be at a good enough standard in 6-12 months as I can speak Spanish, and learning Portuguese so far has felt a little less difficult so there is always the standard option too, at worst. 

Am I right in thinking that a full car license covers you for riding a bike up to a 125cc too? A good way to keep myself competent on the roads before being at the standard to give the A license a go in PT. 

So based on what you've said, as long as I pass the medical and submit the exchange before February, I should be golden? 

Thanks again for your brilliant advice. 🙂

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@chrisc

Yes, a PT car licence does cover you for a motorcycle up to 125 cc and (the proviso most people miss) if it has a power output of no more than 11k/w.

The medical isn't onerous, so unless you're knocking on deaths door, or are as blind as a bat, you've got it covered.

Community Member
(@chrisc)

@old-bloke

Legend! Thanks again for the great advice. 

Chris

Community Member
(@drjohn)

@old-bloke & @peggyl Thank you for your detailed response, I can rest easy now, i was starting to panic. I know my move timing is bad but this element is now clearly sort-able

Once again thank you

Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@drjohn

It's all clear as mud, changes without notice, and is rarely articulated to the public in an understandable way.

VIP Member
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member

With regard to driving licence medicals, I do not know if this universal. All the NHS doctors in the Viseu area are refusing to do them. Saying it is not their job to do so. It would appear I have to go to a driving school, they arrange the medical and submit the application. This for the grand sum of 90€. Anyone else with the same problem?

13 Replies
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@hartmill

It's cheaper to go to a private doctor for the medical (I paid €30 each time I've had to get the medical) and done the rest of it myself, once for exchange and once for renewal.

But yes some Centro de Saude will do driving licence medicals, others won't.

Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@old-bloke

I agree with all of your above posts. Thanks for trying to explain it all and keep us legal. And I agree with getting the medical from a private Dr. It is so much easier to get an appointment and to get the paper itself. For us, it is worth the small expense. If you will indulge me, I have a bone to pick.... not with you at all, but with the fact that the medical certificate is only valid for 6 months. I just can't understand why the medical expires in 6 months if it is being used for a driver's license that will be valid for years. I know none of us has anything to do with the length of time that the medical is valid, I am just venting.           

Thanks Again old-bloke.

@peggyL

Community Member
(@vinden)

@peggyl Hi, We used dronline.pt & it was a fantastic experience! Very pleasant & friendly doctor. Quick online process using laptop's camera & microphone. €49. No expiry date on medical cert 🙂

Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@vinden

The Doctor Is Required To put the medical exam and results into the computer himself/herself. That is how he/she gets the special number on the medical form. You were given a copy but the IMT was also sent a copy electronically! It is only valid for 6 months.

@peggyL

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Trusted Member

@vinden
Wow, fantastic, thank you so much, I checked out the website, looks great to do the medical certificate especially for drivers licence, online next day!!

Community Member
(@christinel)

@old-bloke

I went to the local private health centre in Anadia. It was harder getting through the receptionist than the actual health check up. Still waiting for my appointment with IMT though. I am guessing it is taking them a long time to get through all the applications. 

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@christinel

I'm sure there is an international school for the training of doctor's receptionists where they learn to be as obstructive as they can.

Since the 1st October you can start the exchange process online, those who have done so are reporting it's a lot quicker.  

Community Member
(@christinel)

@old-bloke

I did it online. The application was indeed quicker and it was easy to verify the health check. However, then comes the long part, you have to apply online for a local appointment at IMT. I thought it would be pretty quick up here as there are not that many expats, but we are still waiting after a month of applying.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@christinel

Those I've spoken to who went the online route didn't have to apply separately for an appointment, is was automatically forthcoming from IMT as per the instructions on the IMT online  website.

"After sending the documentation, you will receive an email to pay the fee of 30 euros and an indication of how to collect the biometric data, if necessary."

Community Member
(@christinel)

@old-bloke
We haven’t received the email asking for money yet. We sent our application on 14/11.

Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@christinel

There is a number to call, 808 20 12 12 ...this is the number in FARO. I don't know where your nearest IMT is. You could always ask the people in Faro for the number where you are. The centro # is 300 003 990.......... If you call between 30 min. before the close of business until 20 min before the close of business you are the most likely to get someone to answer the phone. They might say that they do not speak English but they all speak English. Just be patient and keep asking for someone who does speak English or a supervisor. They might be able to tell you what the problem is. It's probably Covid backup added to holiday back up. 

@peggyL

Community Member
(@christinel)

@peggyl

okay thanks very much.

Community Member
(@vinden)

@old-bloke That's a shame (funny comment though 🙂  )
We only had good experiences in Spain & Oz.

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online