Driving Licence when does the 90 days start - Page 2 – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Driving Licence whe...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Driving Licence when does the 90 days start

Page 2 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@drjohn)

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me please, on a question about exchanging our driving licenses.

We have a villa in Portugal, we have a Registration Certificate of the citizens of the EU (Certificado de Registo de Cidadao) which we obtained at the beginning of November. We are still in the UK and cannot permanently move to Portugal until spring when we will become tax resident.

My question is does the 90 days start with the Certificado de Registo de Cidadao or tax residency?

I guess is I am confused as to when residency starts

I have referred to this from the IMTT but its not clear to me http://www.imt-ip.pt/sites/IMTT/Portugues/Noticias/Documents/2019/Noticia-Brexit-Cartas%20de%20Condu%C3%A7%C3%A3o-Driving%20Licences/FAQ%27s%20-%20Brexit%20%20ENG%20v2.pdf

Thanks

55 Replies

Community Member
(@vinden)

Do peeps know if we get an electronic temp permit to drive here once we apply online to exchange the licence or is it posted to us please?

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)
Trusted Member

I am currently stuck waiting for an SNS number to complete my driving licence exchange from UK to PT. 

I sent the application with all documentation, apart from the "digitally sent medical certificate" (instead I sent a pdf proving the medical was conducted) and explained this would be following as soon as I obtain my SNS number.

Unfortunately, I have not heard back from the IMT - I called them but no record of the application... So I have sent the application again. 

As 90 days has passed since my residency I am currently unable to drive, does anyone have any advice on speeding up this process so that I can drive again? 

Thanks in advance 🙂 

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@rocketracoon
Apparently UK licences are valid for 1 year now.
We done the medical online which is digitally connected to the NIF number I think.

Premium Member
(@audjen)

@rocketracoon I did my medical online, and had to wait until I had my SNS number before they could send it to the IMT, for a file to be created.

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)
Estimable Member

Has anyone exchanged their licence successfully in 2021?
We applied 2+ months ago, and haven't heard anything back!

1 Reply
 MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@itexpert7 Not yet but we'll be doing this soon with the help of Ei!

VIP Member
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member

My licence expired in February, all documentation sent. No response yet. I get the impression that a lot of beurocratic entities have been having a holiday for 3 months. 

24 Replies
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

@hartmill

I don't know about that. Offices may have been closed for in person attendance (such as would be necessary for issuing a first PT driving licence to a foreign citizen) but IMT is still working and responded to my recent request for a licence renewal very swiftly and efficiently, including answering 2 email queries I made in one afternoon due to difficulties I had with the online process. The new licence was sent to me within a few days.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@x-camone

I had a similar experience on renewal, very fast turn around.

I am inclined to believe IMT when they say the delays are being caused by the DVLA side of the exchange process, even my friends in the UK are experiencing delays with DVLA doing anything re their UK licences.

It seems to me the DVLA are struggling with Covid working restrictions, and being overwhelmed with the number of UK licence exchange queries from EU states because so many people, for whatever reason, left it to the last minute to start the exchange process.

I appreciate the delay is frustrating for those still waiting, just be thankful you chose to live in Portugal and not Spain. Spain won't exchange a UK licence now and people will have to take a Spanish driving test.

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@x-camone
Wow, perhaps you could share the email address you used?

We emailed trocas.estrangeiras@imt-ip.pt
And received:

"Resposta automática.
Acusamos a receção do seu email. Informa-se que o mesmo será processado com a maior brevidade.
O IMT, IP"
That was 45 days ago!
Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@itexpert7 Did you ever hear back regarding your licence?

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@rocketracoon
Hi, thank you for reminding me!
I just checked again, and it seems they CHANGED their system!
Instead of having to email the form with attachments of all papers, you now have to do the form ONLINE!
So I just re-did it.
How did you do it?

Here is the online form: (click "aqui")

Community Member
(@christinel)

@itexpert7

i am trying very hard to stay positive with this!! I applied last year and still waiting. I applied online and by email. Also having major problems with changing my fiscal address online on the Finanças portal, whereas last year the process was as smooth as can be. I feel really unlucky with all this. My stress free retirement is anything but!

I am thinking of reapplying online as I have changed my address and can’t find any way to update my application. In comparison, the SEF Brexit email address is super helpful and responsive. 

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@christinel

I know how you feel!!
Well luckily our licences are valid till 31st December!

Yes, Financas online not possible to change for UK citizens, I found out after being told many times by local Financas (yes they reply to emails!) that online is the way.
And appointments not possible, have to wait until the getting the SEF card. Which probably take years from what I'm hearing about the SEF restructuring, etc 🙁

But I managed to import a car from Germany and got the plates in less than 2 weeks, so something does work in this country!!

Kind Regards,
Michael.

Community Member
(@christinel)

@itexpert7

do you know, I think you have solved our Finanças problem. My husband who is Belgian, got his verification code through the post this morning, but no sign of mine or my daughter’s (we are UK citizens). We even made the 200 km round trip to Anadia Finanças the other day and they couldn’t change my address either! They said our accounts needed a reset! “Computer says no”. This has been going on for two months. We have been here for nearly two years now and have moved three times, which I guess means more interaction with local civil servants which is so difficult with our halting Portuguese. I came so close this week to giving up and going back to UK. The weather hasn’t helped either! 
sorry for ranting, I needed to get it out of my system!

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@christinel

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL !! 😀 hehe

But if you're so long here, why didn't you change the financas NIF address to Portugal before Brexit? It legally has to be changed within 60 days after establishing the residency in the Camara.

We came in December, so literally no time!

Community Member
(@christinel)

@itexpert7

Because we only moved for the third time in March, so we had to wait to get our rental agreement as proof of address. This, and my passport, was all the lady at the Finanças wanted. She was not interested in the address verification from the Junta de Freguesia which was a lot of hassle getting! 

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@itexpert7 When you say it is not possible, was the address change option in the Portal Das Financas missing?

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@rocketracoon
Yes, it's missing, it doesn't work on there for UK citizens. I chatted with the online chat there, emailed 2 financas, talked with 2 lawyers.
If you have any better luck, please share!

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@itexpert7 Login, to the portal, in the search bar type "alteração de morada" then "Entregar Pedido de Alteração" - you should then see your old address and be able to enter a new address.

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@rocketracoon

Thank you, "old address" is in the UK, so I get the usual for UK residents:

Alteração de Morada

Não é possível proceder à alteração do domicílio fiscal, no Portal das Finanças, para contribuintes nas seguintes condições:

• Singulares que possuam Cartão de Cidadão (Estes contribuintes deverão proceder à alteração de morada em qualquer Local de Atendimento do Cartão de Cidadão);
  • Singulares residentes em países terceiros, isto é, singulares não residentes em Estados membros da União Europeia ou num dos seguintes países do Espaço Económico Europeu: Noruega, Islândia ou Liechtenstein (Estes contribuintes deverão proceder à alteração de morada nos Serviços de Finanças, apenas após fiabilização (confirmação) da morada junto dos Serviços do IRN-Cartão do Cidadão, na eventualidade de serem portadores de Cartão de Cidadão português);
  • Todos os coletivos residentes, bem como os não residentes (98X) (Estes contribuintes deverão proceder à alteração da sede junto do Registo Nacional de Pessoas Coletivas - RNPC).
Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@itexpert7 Ah no, sorry i thought that was going to be the solution.

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@itexpert7 I sent an email, but all I got back was an automated response. I called up and they had no record of the application. I will try this form - thank you for sharing 🙂

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@itexpert7 Ola, did you put your passport number for this one "Número de identificação civil| ID document no." ? 

I guess the Brexit residency card will have a number when we get those... 

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@rocketracoon
I've done the online form 2 weeks ago, it definitely worked, they even emailed back 10 days later asking for another document.

Yes, I put the passport number, and attached the passport also. We have no other ID numbers.

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@itexpert7 Hi, did you get anywhere with your driving licence exchange?

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@itexpert7 were you successful in exchanging your driving licence?

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@rocketracoon Ei! has been working on our license exchanges since early May. We had to get the SNS health numbers first, then the medicals, which we did online. A few days ago my application went through and I got a temporary, but not my wife. We've been here almost 5 months and on Friday I will finally get my picture taken for the Portuguese license. I have no idea when my wife will get hers.

Community Member
(@rocketracoon)

Trusted Member

@maxgravy Hi, thank you for responding to this thread.

When you had your photo taken, did they happen to tell you how long it would take for them to post out the new licence?

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@rocketracoon No, they didn't say but I'll post when I receive it, assuming I remember.

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@rocketracoon It's been more than 3 weeks since I had my photo taken and still have not received a license. My wife applied at the same time and she still doesn't even have an appointment yet. 

We're doing this through Ei! and Carla checks with IMT every two weeks. No rhyme or reason. 

Page 2 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online