Driving to Spain from Portugal – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Driving to Spain fr...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Martinhall banner
  • Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Driving to Spain from Portugal

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@itexpert7)
Estimable Member

Hi, has anyone driven to Spain recently?
I plan to drive on Monday to Madrid from the Algarve to pick-up someone from the airport.

I understand the borders are open, I assume that means  no checks, just drive through like it used to be.
Do I need anything? Covid test?
I read the tolls are easy there, just pay with cash or card, no special devices or registrations are needed.
Any advice appreciated.

Topic Tags
7 Replies

Premium Member
(@paulr)
Estimable Member

Not found any motorway tolls in Spain ?

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @itexpert7

I understand the borders are open, I assume that means  no checks, just drive through like it used to be.

Not any more for UK citizens as we're no longer EU citizens (even those of us with Portuguese residency). Now we're supposed to stop at the border and declare our entry, if the border is unmanned it has to be done within 3 days at a police station or an immigration office.

Real Decreto 557/2011

13. Declaración de entrada.

1. Tendrán la obligación de declarar la entrada personalmente ante las autoridades policiales españolas los extranjeros que accedan a territorio español procedentes de un Estado con el que España haya firmado un acuerdo de supresión de controles fronterizos.

2. Si no se hubiese efectuado en el momento de la entrada, dicha declaración deberá efectuarse en el plazo de tres días hábiles a partir de aquélla, en cualquier comisaría del Cuerpo Nacional de Policía u Oficina de Extranjería.

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@itexpert7)
Estimable Member

Wow, thanks, good thing I'm not a UK citizen 🙂

3 Replies
VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member
Posted by: @itexpert7

Wow, thanks, good thing I'm not a UK citizen 🙂

My mistake, I assumed you were due to your previous post about renewing your UK passport.

Premium Member
(@itexpert7)

Estimable Member

@old-bloke 
Wow, you have fantastic memory! I did write that indeed, but it wasn't my passport, it was my daughter's 🙂
Any advice about passing the border to Spain relating to Covid tests? Are you a lawyer? You have amazing knowledge of laws! 🙂

Kind Regards,
Michael.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@itexpert7 

As far as I'm currently aware there are no covid restrictions at the border. 

No I'm not a lawyer.

Community Member
(@stephan)

Not sure about the registration... but here in Marvão the border is completely deserted. So there is effectively no (enforced) entry restrictions to Spain, and you just drive through.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online