Enough – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Enough

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
VIP Member
Topic starter
(@peterfc)

Recently I overheard a Father and daughter in their last moments together at the airport. They had announced the departure.

Standing near the security gate, they hugged and the Father said, 'I love you, and I wish you enough.'

The daughter replied, 'Dad, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough, too, Dad.'
They kissed and the daughter left. The Father walked over to the window where I was seated. Standing there I could see he wanted and needed to cry. I tried not to intrude on his privacy, but he welcomed me in by asking, 'Did you ever say good-bye to someone knowing it would be forever?'

'Yes, I have,' I replied. 'Forgive me for asking, but why is this a forever good-bye?'..

'I am old, and she lives so far away. I have challenges ahead and the reality is - the next trip back will be for my funeral,' he said.

'When you were saying good-bye, I heard you say, 'I wish you enough.' May I ask what that means?'

He began to smile. 'That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone...' He paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail, and he smiled even more. 'When we said, 'I wish you enough,' we were wanting the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them..' Then turning toward me, he shared the following as if he were reciting it from memory.

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright no matter how gray the day may appear.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun even more.
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive and everlasting.

I wish you enough pain so that even the smallest of joys in life may appear bigger.

I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye..
He then began to cry and walked away.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them, a day to love them; but then an entire life to forget them.
* Only if you wish, send this to the people you will never forget and remember to send it back to the person who sent it to you. If you don't send it to anyone it may mean that you are in such a hurry that you have forgotten your friends.

Peter " Mr Happy "

3 Replies
VIP Member
(@potbelly)

I think this a lovely story and true.In life we get so wrapped up in our own everyday problems we forget about others maybe we should all take some time to reflect on how lucky we are.

:)

VIP Member
(@jill_1580291577)

Lovely story, & something we should all live by.

I can honestly say that since moving here I have ENOUGH, more than enough in fact. It was illustrated only yesterday (sorry, this starts off a bit rambling)...

The builders & I were all chipping away to get the render off the old stone walls (yes, I sometimes help them, but they help me too - taking bags of rubbish away, giving me lifts, & he even paid my electricty bill from his multibank) I uncovered a big white rock & asked if it was natural to the area "Yes, it's diamond", & I laughingly replied that if there were diamonds in there I'd be rich! Then I started thinking what I would want to buy if I was seriously rich...I had to think for a very long time! I only managed to mentally "spend" about 500€, that was on the animals, I couldn't think of anything that I need or want. The only serious extravagance would be to pay someone to drive me around (as I don't have a car licence).

I wish that everyone could feel as lucky as I do, & truely have "enough" to make them happy

VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)

Hi Jill

well you could buy a swimming pool!

sorry!

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal