Face Masks – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

Face Masks

Community Member
Topic starter
(@phile)

Perhaps a slightly bizarre question, but are there any "rules" about the types of face mask worn in and around PT?

I normally use a snood rather than a disposable paper one. My partner has a homemade washable cloth one that hooks over her ears. Are these both okay for general use?

Regards

Topic Tags
7 Replies

Cara
Community Member
(@cara)
Trusted Member

There does not seem to be.  You see people wearing all sorts of masks and face coverings here in a wide variety of contexts.  Surgical masks are perhaps the most common type though.

Premium Member
(@alleycat)
Trusted Member

The science now says that cloth masks are not the best to block the Omicron prevalent virus spread...the best are the N95 or KN95 type.  Or, wear surgical AND cloth if you can't find any yet. Omicron moves right through cloth, that's one reason it is spreading so fast and broadly. I don't live in PT yet, so not aware of any rules set in place there. 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@tygger)

Estimable Member

@alleycat my understanding is that all the cloth masks, disposable surgical ones etc only protect against bacterial matter, that all viruses, not just Omicron, will pass through them, I do have a viral protection mask, which fits tightly against the face, it  has twin disposable filters which have to be replaced daily or weekly, depending on hours worn, it's a professional mask so quite expensive.

Premium Member
(@alleycat)
Trusted Member

then you're covered!...Pun intended, or stock up on N-95s.

BTW, not familiar with the term "snood"..what it that?

Stay healthy!

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@alleycat)

Trusted Member

I think the US will be rolling out free N-95s soon, until I find those, or affordable supply of them...I wear 5-layer PM2.5 filters inside of my double layered cloth mask.  Stay healthy!

Community Member
(@phile)

@alleycat snood is a great piece of clothing. A tube that can be worn as a scarf, hat, mask, blindfold etc lol

Premium Member
(@alleycat)
Trusted Member

@phile That's what I thought it might be...from the get go of this Pandemic though, those have not been the safest thing to be using to avoid spread or contraction, especially now with the Omicron....just saying. Better to use the Kn95 or N95s designed for virus barricade.  The other problem is the majority of those sold online could be fakes made in China, so need to look closely at the product for stamps of model and institute numbers, etc.   We should read up on the true model numbers to look for...probably on CDC website, or if you aren't from the US, your country's health authority.  May Omicron be the final variant...wishful thinking!

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online