Hank and Konni from California reporting in - Page 11 – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Hank and Konni from...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Hank and Konni from California reporting in

Page 11 / 11

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@hank_2021)
Estimable Member

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say hi!  The wife and I have finished up our first week of our month-long Portugal scouting trip and are having a wonderful time.

We landed in Lisbon and spent 4 days there and we're finishing up 4 days in Tavira.  We're heading up to Leira tomorrow to meet up with Doc Thompson and introduce ourselves in person.

We didn't rent a car and we've been doing "ordinary people" things.  Taking public transit everywhere....train, metro, bus, trolley, walking.  It's been super easy to get around, barely an inconvenience.

You read about how nice the Portuguese people are, and it's no lie.  Everyone has been so nice and I'm not just talking about the people waiting on us.  We have spent time in grocery stores, visiting malls, and just trying to do every day people stuff and the people we've bumped into have just been so nice and courteous. 

It's amazing, really.  The best word I've found so far to describe is that the people are just damned civilized.  Just really...civilized.  The atmosphere is so relaxed and people are just so...I don't know, content?  Easy going?  Mature?

It's sooooooooooooooo different than in America.  It's amazing, totally opposite.

We met a shop keeper who was third generation owner of his shop where we bought somethings from.  We couldn't speak Portuguese, he could spoke a smidgen of English.  It.  Just.  Didn't.  Matter. 

We found a way to communicate and it was such a joyful, enriching experience.

It's amazing how peaceful Tavira is.  It's amazing how peaceful Lisbon was.  I think I could count on one hand the number of times I heard an ambulance and/or car horn. 

Just an amazing experience so far.

One of the main missions we had coming on this scouting trip was to find some reason, some event that screamed at us that we were crazy to be considering a move to Portugal. 

We simply can't find one.  Yes, it's only been a week, but there's nothing here saying we're nuts to come here.  Maybe that'll change, but I doubt it.

Everything we need is here, the public transportation is easy to use, cheap, and extensive.

Tons of people speak English and they really appreciate when we try to speak some form of broken Portuguese with them.  They laughed, we laughed.  We were laughing together.  It's just a joy.

I've been working remotely using the internet here, and ZERO problems. 

Prices are what I expected, EXCEPT for the electronics.  Research told me everything is sooo expensive here.  Honestly, I'm not seeing it.  Barely at all.  Maybe _slightly_ more on some things, but TVs, appliances, even the cell phones are pretty close.

I mean, there are a few things that are, but there's a lot of things that are a lot cheaper, and we were buying stuff in the super markets and malls.  I understand it's cheaper in the community markets.

Honestly, I'm trying to find a reason not to come, and we can't find one.  So far, the country is living up to the hype and all the years of research I've done.

We're going to be meeting up with some expat comrades on Wednesday and can't wait to meet in person.

The wife agrees there haven't been zero show-stoppers so far.

If I get time, I'll post follow-ups in this thread.  So if anyone is curious, here are our experiences so far!

Boa noite!

242 Replies

Jst
Community Member
(@jst)

Hi Hank,  I just finished this marathon of a thread you started and am all the wiser and happier for it.   Thank you!  After watching you on GMP and reading your story, as a fellow American, I relate to MANY of the things you allude to.  Exhaustion of the current political situation, COVID culture, cancel culture, and on and on.  I used to enjoy keeping up with politics and other current events, but now it just frustrates me. 

Portugal popped on my radar a few months ago and knew (I suspect) this was the place for me.  Since then I have been absorbing all I can about this country and the language--even subscribed to Practice Portuguese!  I hope to visit sometime in 2022.  I'm only highlighting my excitement because I am still 8+ years to retirement. 🤒   But I hope I can keep this passion going til then.  I have pretty much lost interest in the US as I'm sure you can relate. 

If I ever make it to Portugal, I would love to look you guys up as you will be seasoned expats by then 😀 .  Being involved in the expat community as much as possible sounds like a great thing to do in retirement!!!

JonG
Community Member
(@jong)
Eminent Member

hi @hank_2021, great story! are you back to the US now? My wife is from California and we have been living here in Portugal since august. Would be great to connect when you are around.

9 Replies
Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@jong Yes, we are back in CA and we have bought our tickets for a return trip in January.  We hope to be back permanently in June.  Please hit me up with a connect request and message so we can stay in touch!

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Reputable Member

@hank_2021 which airline are you using?

JonG
Community Member
(@jong)

Eminent Member

@jgibson my wife just traveled with Iberia to LAX through Madrid and said they were great.

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Reputable Member

@jong thanks for the info I will check them out. Getting ready to book flight for Dec trip

Premium Member
(@ericj)

Estimable Member

@jgibson Just an FYI, we use United direct from Newark, NJ.

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Reputable Member

@livinginusa how many hours was the direct flight?

Premium Member
(@ericj)

Estimable Member

@jgibson Approx 7hrs to Lisbon and 8hrs on the return to Newark.

Premium Member
(@hank_2021)

Estimable Member

@jgibson Hi ya, I think we're doing Lufthansa and United Airlines.  We booked through Google flights.  I want to say for Konni and I it was like $839.50 round trip.  We're flying economy though.

KLC
Community Member
(@klc)

Trusted Member

@hank_2021 we are flying azore airlines from Bos to Lisbon stop in azores business class for our dec flight

Page 11 / 11

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Serenity Banner
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online