Historic Sites in Dark Areas – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Historic Sites in D...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Historic Sites in Dark Areas

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@michael_tn)
Trusted Member

This is kind of an obtuse question, but I am interested in photographing the milky way behind some history structures (ruins, castles, etc) and that requires the site being in a dark area, away from cities. Anyone know of such places offhand? I can do some driving and figure it out but curious if anyone has found anything like this in Portugal. Perhaps @Paulr you have some suggestion? Thanks,

Michael

8 Replies

VIP Member
(@barlaventoexpert)
Honorable Member

Well it would help to know where you are, or are going to be, in Portugal.

I do know from stops many night bus trips to/from Lisbon to the Algarve that the region between Ourique and Aljustrel has little light pollution and great clear views of the sky.

However, not many historic structures there. Your best bet may be in the Alentejo & the Beiras along the Spanish Border in a triangle between Portalegre, Abrantes and Guarda. 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@michael_tn)

Trusted Member

@barlaventoexpert Yes, thanks, I should have mentioned I am in the Algarve, but it does not really matter, as I am willing to travel. I will do some exploring in that area, thanks much!

Premium Member
(@paulr)
Trusted Member

Hi Michael Not sure where you are living USA or PT Just as a refresher this may help.

If you are in the Algarve one of the best backdrops is Paderne castle just outside Paderne , Not much light pollution and 24/7 access. PS don't forget your tripod

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@michael_tn)

Trusted Member

@paulr Yes, we're in the Algarve. That looks like a great starting point! Thanks! 🙂

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasandmatthew)

This one isn't specifically an historic location, but it is a dark skies "thing"

https://darkskyalqueva.com/en/

As others have said, broadly over towards the Spanish border is better, as the primary light pollution in Portugal is in the Algarve coastal belt, and the Sines-Lisbon-Coimbra-Porto corridor, with overspill towards other main towns and along road networks.  There are fantastic networks of towns, castles, etc in the North and Centre, most of which have little light pollution in European terms.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@michael_tn)

Trusted Member

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasandmatthew)

This may help, if you haven't already seen it...

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/

You definitely need to head out of the Algarve for better darkness.  If you kind of overlay this on heritage site maps, I am sure you'll find plenty of places!

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@michael_tn)

Trusted Member

@thomasandmatthew Great! Thanks! This will get me going.

Wow Wines Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online