MEO mobile broadband in UK – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
MEO mobile broadban...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

MEO mobile broadband in UK

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@somanyquestions)
Estimable Member

I have a contract with MEO for mobile internet.
I will be back in UK for the summer and wondered if I will be able to use my data allowance in UK whilst I am there (30gb/mth)
I have asked at a MEO shop, but was told that MEO will not be allowing that.
I was under the impression that from June 2017 there will be an EU directive regarding this.
Anyone know the answer?

6 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Roaming charges were abolished.
The FAQ section of the below link might give you the answer.
https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-mar ... -roam-home

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@somanyquestions)
Estimable Member

hi
thnks for that link.

i have read thro the faqs and came to this one:

If your operator has not explicitly informed you of a roaming data limit, you can benefit while abroad from the full amount of data under your domestic contract.

`The operator is only entitled to apply a roam like at home data limit in 2017 in case you pay less than €3.85/GB of data used (in 2018 less than €3/GB, in 2019 less than €2.25/GB). The actual limit depends on the monthly amount you pay for your mobile contract. The limit is calculated as in question 19.`

Interesting point. I was offered a deal with MEO a year ago, so now I pay €17.00 a month for my 30gb. or €0.56/gb.

So why would MEO tell me that I have to buy a roaming extra?
This seems to me to be the usual EU fudge, claiming things that are not true when it comes down to individual countries, esp Portugal.
For example it would be cheaper for people to take out a contract in Portugal, and live in UK?? I suppose that MEO would be paying the UK operator for using their service and maybe even loosing money !!

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

hi
For example it would be cheaper for people to take out a contract in Portugal, and live in UK?? I suppose that MEO would be paying the UK operator for using their service and maybe even loosing money !!

Nice thought, but the full EU ruling reveals the infamous term "fair use policy" and specifically refers to preventing people doing that.

I wonder if Meo are answering your question using the current rules as their staff haven't yet been briefed about the new rules? You could always print off the Portuguese version of the link and take that in to Meo and see what their response is. The FAQ section covers what to do if you're charged when you shouldn't have been post June 2017.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@somanyquestions)
Estimable Member

hi
I have just come off the phone with a (as usual) very helpful person at MEO HQ.
As you say I think its that the staff at the local shop are not aware of anything.
This girl that I spoke with was unsure herself and so checked with her bosses (she was aware of the issue as of course it does not only affect UK ).
She finally came back to tell me that I will be able to use the full allowance from 15th June !!! But in the meantime their Euro american light applies (ie 50 mb)
But I get the feeling that they are going to increase their prices, as this was mentioned. And indeed on the back of my latest bill there is a statement....... Conheca novas regras e precos a partir de 15 May 2017.
Wonder if it will be reduced??????? LOL

Page 1 / 2

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online