Portugal: how to end a tenancy agreement earlier - help needed – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Portugal: how to en...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

FWM Banner Ad

Portugal: how to end a tenancy agreement earlier - help needed

Community Member
Topic starter
(@kiukkien)

Hi,

I am actually renting a flat in Portugal and as we found a house to buy I will have to move soon thus, end the rent contract earlier. I have a one year contract but I'm not sure if the notice is 60 or 120 days. This is what is written on the contract:

Os arrendatários podem denunciar o contrato, mediante comunicação por escrito, de acordo com o artº 1100º da Lei 31/2012, mediante aviso prévio de acordo com as seguintes alíneas:

1. 120 dias do termo pretendido do contrato, se, à data da comunicação, este tiver um ano ou mais de duração efetiva;

2. 60 dias do termo do contrato, se, à data da comunicação, este tiver até um ano de duração efetiva;

Any idea? I would say 60 days but I'm not sure. The contract has been done through an estate agent and they're not answering to us 😡 . Another question is: do I have to send the registered communication to the estate agent or to the landlord?

Any suggestions/ideas are more than welcome!

3 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@anavieira)

I´m not expert on that but the translation of what you just post is 60 days, if you are there for less than one year.
In my opinion, you should send communication with the landlord.
Check the person who signed the contract, but i´m almost sure it should be the landlord.
🙂
Regards,
Ana

2 Replies
Community Member
(@kiukkien)

@anavieira

thanks! I thought so too but I really wasn't sure about the days! I'll do what you suggest then as, the landlord is the one who signed the contract.

thanks again!

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@anavieira)

@kiukkien

you’re welcome!

hope it helps and you can do it.

in any case, depending on your landlord, maybe you can arrange to leave earlier. It all depends on his ability to find other tenant 🙂

Talking is always the best option 😉 😉 

good luck 🍀 

Ana 

EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online