Portuguese Dogs - Are they annoying? – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Portuguese Dogs - A...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Blevins Franks Banner

Portuguese Dogs - Are they annoying?  

RSS

embu
(@embu)
Active Member Community Member
14/09/2020 6:49 pm  

After reading another post about the dogs being annoying, it has made me think a bit. I am a dog lover and I currently have 3 dogs (inherited one from my parents) and like most dog owners I walk them daily - I like to walk them without hassle of other dogs running over, but reading that they are all over the place has made me feel a bit anxious about moving. I have had experience of loose dog attacks and its not nice ☹️  I am looking to live in a village location rather than a town and I don't know if this would be better or worse?! I have been to Portugal several times and never really noticed it before... But when you're on holiday it could be something you wouldn't necessarily pick up on. 

I also saw it was mentioned on a pros and cons of Portugal so I guess it must be bad enough to make people comment?  So are they as bad as people have said?

thank you  

(@mrbife)
Honorable Member VIP Member
16/09/2020 5:45 pm  

From personal experience of living in a Portuguese rural location and owning dogs/walking dogs twice a day, I would say that the chance of having any kind of issue was about the same as in UK, probably less. There are very few 'loose dogs' these days and even if there were they would be most unlikely to attack especially a walker with three dogs already - they would be more likely to run and hide.

Issues for some are apparently 'dogs barking at night' - probably because everything else is so hushed and quiet at night that sound can stand out - easily solved with decent double glazing.

gerry liked
ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Reputable Member Admin
16/09/2020 6:11 pm  

Hi @embu.

I totally agree with @mrbife

I live in a very rural area in Central and there are plenty of dogs around but never feel threatened when walking the lanes. You can get a bit of barking at night but nowhere near as annoying as a cockerel crowing in my view. If you can tell us exactly where you plan to live, we can probably get you some more local knowledge. Alternatively you can always take a good walk around an area as part of the buying decision. I know, stating the obvious.......... 😐  

ReplyQuote
 embu
(@embu)
17/09/2020 8:32 am  

@gerry and @mrbife Thank you very much for your input. you have allayed my fears a little 😊 

I guess there is also a culture of 'hard man' dogs in the UK and quite a few irresponsible dog owners who think its cool to have an aggressive dog! 

Where am I going to live? That's the million dollar question! 🤣 You will see I am quite new to this forum so I have only recently decided to move out of the UK, specifically England. I considered Scotland and Wales but they're both a little wet!  I had family ties that prevented me moving until now.... So I have just recently started to do some research. I like Portugal because I have been several times and on some of those trips I was horse riding near Gois and loved that area with the rivers and forests and small villages that we rode through. It's not as arid as Spain and the people were really friendly, unlike France! So I've kind of settled on Portugal and hear mostly good things about it. My research is ongoing! I've just printed maps off so I can look at them when areas are mentioned or if I see houses for sale...  Stand by for lots more questions! 

Many thanks I appreciate your help.

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Reputable Member Admin
17/09/2020 9:20 am  

Hi @embu

OK standing by for your questions. Meanwhile, in case you have not seen it, take a look at this item from our news and articles which might help you to at least pin down your preferred region.

https://expatsportugal.com/where-to-live-in-portugal/

Best wishes

Gerry

embu liked
ReplyQuote
(@santaanita)
Prominent Member VIP Member
17/09/2020 4:06 pm  

Hi,i live 5 k out side gois,and have trouble taking our dog into town,to have a quite coffee without other dogs loose coming up to our dog,which causes problems,they are not all strays many of the flats in gois have dogs and they are let out to  roam,there are many bad owners anywhere,but we have friends whose dog has been attacked while out walking in the woods,in our own village where there is 13 occupied houses there is 19 dogs of which two are ours,one neighbour has a very bullish looking black Lab which he refuses to walk on a lead,who we have clashed with while walking thru the village,his idea is the dog will do as its told but it takes no notice so his way is to wack it with a stick.before the Lad he had a german shephard same thing.so i think you never know really where ever you go you may or may not be lucky.

embu liked
ReplyQuote
 embu
(@embu)
19/09/2020 7:52 am  
Posted by: @santaanita

Hi,i live 5 k out side gois,and have trouble taking our dog into town,to have a quite coffee without other dogs loose coming up to our dog,which causes problems,they are not all strays many of the flats in gois have dogs and they are let out to  roam,there are many bad owners anywhere,but we have friends whose dog has been attacked while out walking in the woods,in our own village where there is 13 occupied houses there is 19 dogs of which two are ours,one neighbour has a very bullish looking black Lab which he refuses to walk on a lead,who we have clashed with while walking thru the village,his idea is the dog will do as its told but it takes no notice so his way is to wack it with a stick.before the Lad he had a german shephard same thing.so i think you never know really where ever you go you may or may not be lucky.

Sad - that was my idea to be on the outskirts of a village and be able to walk into the centre for a coffee with my pooches 😞  I could take a pump action water pistol!! I don't think the loose dog would like that very much!! 

ReplyQuote
 embu
(@embu)
19/09/2020 8:06 am  

@gerry Thank you that link was very informative! 

ReplyQuote

Live and Invest Portugal

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online