Real time conversations? – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Real time conversat...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

Real time conversations?  

RSS

(@jayne)
Illustrious Member VIP Member
29/06/2005 12:19 am  

Hi Simon,

Noticed you were on line at the same time as me and had an idea which I thought I'd throw at you. I haven't got much experience with forums and am not sure about how they work but how about creating a board for real time chats. Just thought it would be nice to have a special area where I could go to say "hello" on the spur of the moment, if I felt like it to whoever was on line at the same time. You're the boss, what do you think?

See ya! :D

(@spownall)
29/06/2005 7:59 am  

Hi Jayne

Nice idea, but unfortunately beyond the scope of this technology! You could send a personal message (PM) to other users when they are online. Not sure how quick they are because I haven't tried one before! Next time you see me online, send one and we'll see how it works.

Regards
Simon

ReplyQuote
(@jayne)
29/06/2005 2:38 pm  

As I said, I'm not sure about protocol. The other forum I belong to "frowns" upon PMing people but if everyone is OK with that here, then I'll go with the flow. Don't want anyone to feel their privacy is being invaded or they're being invaded by aliens or whatever. I'm OK with that cos I'm into any kind of communication so feel free to PM me whenever you feel like it. I speak for myself!

ReplyQuote
(@freebird)
Estimable Member VIP Member
20/07/2005 11:52 pm  

...if a chat room can't be set up alongside this, if members sign up to either MSN Messenger or Yahoo messenger, best to decide on one, then let forum members know their id, you can add each other to your contact lists and chat anytime you are on line. Its easy to set up if you havent already. You can also have video conferences via a web cam. I am on MSN my id is anonimostly@hotmail.com if any one wants to chat, mail me at that address and I will add you to my contact list. kind regards Lynda

ReplyQuote
(@ellie)
Noble Member VIP Member
21/07/2005 12:14 am  

I find it rather odd that a forum would 'frown' upon members using PMs? :? ....
Whats the point in having them if you don't use them?
Carvoeiro.com has been operating in its present form for about 2 and half years now..and I've made many good friends on there in that time..and use of PMs has helped that come about :)

ReplyQuote
(@spownall)
21/07/2005 12:17 am  

Please PM as you like! Just if you have any useful info you would like to share with other expats, stick it on the forum!

ReplyQuote
(@jayne)
22/07/2005 12:32 am  

Hi ellie,

I find it rather odd that a forum would 'frown' upon members using PMs?

Strange but true. You obviously aren't a member of this other forum. They have a list of rules as long as Brighton Pier and run a very tight shop. PMing is tolerated only to talk about something you don't want to be made public and should be kept to a minimum. I suppose it has a certain logic. A forum is a place for community discussion and I suppose PMs are a bit isolated but there are times when they come in handy. Oh well, I suppose everyone to their own.

Hi Freebird,

Thanks for the messenger idea. I must admit, I tried it once and wasn't very keen but I suppose that's because it was new and strange. One of these days ...

ReplyQuote
(@diskwizz)
Noble Member VIP Member
22/07/2005 11:54 am  

just and idea with regards to talking to people "on the spur of the moment". There is a website called www.jmeeting.com which could be used for such a purpose. It is completely portable and you can log in from anywhere in the world without having to download any installation features before using. You just need to goto the chat area and set up a room (for example "expats in portugal")and let everyone here know what the room is called. I for 1 would probably live in the room if it was set up. Wont set one up myself as i am only 1 hour old to you guys and am not gonna look all pushy :lol: . Only one thing, as with any site there is the odd wierdo hanging around as in yahho/msn. But if you are doing your own thing you do get left alone.

ReplyQuote
 xuk
(@xucchini)
New Member Community Member
28/08/2020 10:47 pm  

Sorry to revive this dead topic, but now days slack.com is pretty great for real time chat and has a pretty useful free level of service which organizations can use.

Also, anyone know of any real-time chat for expats?

ReplyQuote

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online