Residency Certificate renewal query – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Residency Certifica...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Residency Certificate renewal query

Community Member
Topic starter
(@strap)

Hello All.

In Dec 2021 I made the online application to renew my residency document on the SEF website, as per the Brexit withdrawal agreement.

I duly received confirmation of this in the form of the 'CERTIFICADO DE PEDIDO DE TÍTULO DE RESIDÊNCIA'.

I have however heard nothing more about it. Does anyone know the means by which SEF will contact me? The reason I ask is that I have been back in the UK and am not picking up mail in Portugal. Do they normally write in letter form, or could I expect an email or phone call from them?

As I understand it, the next step would be for me to go to my local town hall and complete the registration process. Is that correct?

Many thanks for any assistance!

James

5 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

You haven't missed anything, we're all waiting on hearing from SEF as to when they are going to start issuing Brits with their new post Brexit cards.

Whether the contact will be via email or snail mail remains to be seen. When they do contact us, according to what has been announced, it will give details of where to attend which could be an SEF office or the Camara.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@strap)

@old-bloke 

Great, thanks for confirming old-bloke. Good to hear they haven't forgotten about me!

All the best

James

VIP Member
(@stevej)
Noble Member

I believe (hope) that contact will be via email. We moved house last year, and I contacted SEF to ask how I should change our address with them. They said that the address change would be done at the time of issuing the new Card, and that contact would be via email.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@strap)

@stevej 

Hi Steve, that is reassuring to hear that email should hopefully be the primary means of communication. Thank you for the heads up!

Best

James

Community Member
(@adelta)

I think all Brits are waiting for our new cards.
My wife and I have been waiting 2 years for our new residence cards.  Lack of the card prevents my wife travelling, as her passport is non-EU so without the card she would not be able to get back into Portugal, and when I travelled last week from Portugal to the UK via Amsterdam, with my British passport, I was given a hard time at the Dutch border control because I did not have a residence card. 
In the UK, Portuguese have their BRF cards but Brits in Portugal are completely screwed around by inefficiency within SEF.
Another factor in this, is tax: my wife pays UK PAYE on her UK earnings and then around 3x that in tax to the Portuguese AT as personal income taxes in Portugal are several times higher than in the UK for a fairly average UK level of income.  So ten thousand in Portuguese tax, without even getting a residence card.  Our old cards expired in 2020 and mid 2021.

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Serenity Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online