Respite care - Page 3 – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Respite care

17 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
VIP Member
Topic starter
(@alison-kearin)

Does anyone know of somewhere in Central Portugal that does respite care.

We may need it for my sister-in-law who is in a wheelchair. We have to go back to the UK at the end of March and although most days she is self reliant there are days when she needs to be reminded to take her medication, eat and helped out of bed.

16 Replies
VIP Member
(@gabbie)

Robin, just from observation, would say it's mostly a cultural thing. I've often been astonished at how technologically advanced Portugal is in many ways, yet the websites are generally atrocious - even those of some very decent hotels. Portuguese are by nature very sociable - have you ever waited in line at the Post Office for a conversation to end????? Perhaps it is just not a part of the dna to "talk" to a computer!

VIP Member
(@robin-greenwood)

The cultural bit I understand. What I don't understand is why have an email address if you don't use it to reply to emails from customers and potential customers? And yet somehow it is possible to use the email option to send bills!

If I wasn't prepared to use email as a means to communicate with people, I would not promote an email address on websites and business cards . . .

I'm happy to wait in queues while people blether, I am a patient person, but the email issue does frustrate me. :wink:

VIP Member
(@lobito)

I do understand your frustration, RG. That makes two of us (at the very least!)

I have emailed, called to point out I had no answer and emailed again to people I was prepared to buy everything necessary for a bathroom from. I ended up buying from somebody else (probably more expensive) because I just refuse to deal with people that are unable to answer emails for business. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

My only explanation is that Portuguese are a "face" people (that should extend to "voice", too, because they (we!) are usually as polite on the phone as when dealing with people face to face. It has been noted that the normal courtesy seems to disappear in the traffic, too.

There is another thing that drives me crazy: most of those that do answer emails will not do it unless they have a positive answer to offer. That is, they are unable to acknowledge an email, to say, we will get back to you when we have an answer. Or, we can't answer you, we just don't know. I suppose this combines with the inability of saying "I don't know", like "I don't know that place, you should ask somebody else" instead of "I think you should turn right, it must be that pink building blablabla".

Sorry, I don't understand this better than you do, and I wish this could change in my lifetime!

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@alison-kearin)

I understand the question regarding emails came from my post but could we perhaps move that discussion to another post rather than my one requesting advice on respite care.

Thanks

ps. I had a reply the next day asking us to visit the facility.

VIP Member
(@mad-pott)

I have only just seen your message. Have you managed to find anything suitable yet?
I am an English nurse and worked 30 years in the NHS. I am registered with the Ordem dos Enfermeiros (the Portuguese official regulatory body). I offer tailor made care packages to English speaking ex-pats to enable them to stay in their own homes. I provide all levels of care including cooking meals, shopping, etc as necessary. This may be short term respite care or on going support. I am in the Vila Nova de Poiares area.
Please ring for further information or informal. non-obligatory chat 239 971567/ 969755283
Regards, Sue

Page 3 / 4

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal