Seeking advice from US Expats in PT - keep US mobile nbr for 2FA purposes – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Seeking advice from...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Seeking advice from US Expats in PT - keep US mobile nbr for 2FA purposes

TR
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@tanya-rainey40gmail-com)

While I wait patiently for my D7 visa to be approved I’m hoping for some recommendations to what seems to be an issue for those who remain abroad longer than 6 months when it comes to maintaining your US mobile nbr for two-factor authentications, which is needed to verify identity accessing financial services in America.

It feels as if I’ve scoured the depths of the internet (ever go down that rabbit hole?!) but nothing clear cut. I’ve read many go with Google Voice, other suggestions were iPlum, OpenPhone, Number Barn. The problem is majority are VoIP services, not many financial services will send the verification text to the voice over IP network. Such tricky business. Anyway, I think my brain is overloaded with content on this topic, reaching out to the lovely expat community here for any tips. 
Thank you,
Tanya

5 Replies

Premium Member
(@kevin-wilson)

I have an IPhone X. I called T-Mobile to transfer my number to the eSim, which is a digital version of a SIM inside the phone. I then popped the T-Mobile SIM out and replaced it with a MEO one. Now I have two phone numbers in one phone.

2 Replies
 TR
Premium Member

@kevin-wilson thank you! That’s a terrific suggestion and will look into this option. I presume T-Mobile won’t suspend the eSim after an extended period of time in Europe/outside the US?

Premium Member
(@rebeccajoy)

@kevin-wilson hi so im leaving in 10 days to come to Portugal.  Do you continue to pay your Tmobile account? and how much do you pay monthly to maintain the number?  I got a lyca mobile US number and wonder about how to keep a US number for banking and login verifications.  the phone I have has 2 SIM card slots.

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)
Estimable Member

We got new phones from MEO and keep our old T-mobile phones at home in airplane mode. They’re connected to wi-fi and work just fine for texting and wi-fi calling. Been over 3 months now and no issues. 

I also got an openphone account with a US number and unlimited calls and texts to the US. $10/month. It’s an app on my Portugal iphone so can use it anywhere. 

1 Reply
 TR
Premium Member

@maxgravy excellent, T-Mobile seems the way to go. Thanks so much!

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online