sending euros to UK – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

sending euros to UK

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@crazy-russian)
Illustrious Member

does anyone have any experience of sending large amount euros back to UK without crazy bank charges?

I have done £stg/into euros and sent to PT by using money brokers

but never yet other way

money brokers in UK getting harder and harder to use due to everyone (innocent folk) being money launderers...so hoops and hoops

is it same in PT??

recs please also any other ideas??

13 Replies

VIP Member
(@stevej)
Noble Member

The fx company we use (XE Trade) can do transfers either way - there are no bank charges for moving £ to €, they make their money by way of the exchange rates they offer, which will be slightly lower than headline rates. We're prepare to accept that in return for a secure and quick service.

The only hiccup I could see would be any limits put on the maximum amount one can transfer from the PT bank. We use CGD and they have daily limits on MultiBanco (€3k) and online transfers (€10k) - not sure what other PT banks' policies are.

Steve

2 Replies
VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)

Illustrious Member

@stevej   thanks steve

I am used to transfer limits with UK online banks....so I shall ask my PT bank and explain reasons....in UK it is usually possible to get around the standard transfer regs with a phone call...or two

VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)

Illustrious Member

@stevej   thanks but XE used to be HIFX who I used before. but now they dont bother to answer telephone...I have tried 4 times last week...3 x 25 minute on hold and have sent emails. Today I finally got a reply to email.

I have moved to Moneycorp who do in fact answer the telephone

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

We've used TorFX (in the UK) for transfers, and similarly, they can transfer in either direction. Make sure you send in the currency of the source, for them to convert.

They have humans on the end of the phone, and you normally get a name and email you can then go back to. If you explain about your bank's limits, they can probably work something out with you.

Also, sometimes the transfer limits are per transfer not per day, so you can do multiples in sequence...

8 Replies
VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)

Illustrious Member

@thomasandmatthew....many many thanks

apartment sale is underway so I need this info in coming month.....or so...!!!

Community Member
(@jennipt512)

@crazy-russian

I work for Foreign Currency Direct in Portugal and would be happy to give you a comparison quote too. Or just a chat in general about currency transfers.

The GBPEUR is at a two month low so its a great time for you to be sending Euros to Pounds at the moment. Have a chat with brokers about their options to help you mitigate your exposure, such as Forward Contracts on this market spike as the GBP is forecast to strengthen again.

Any Qs, I'd be happy to give you some impartial guidance (even if you dont wish to reg with FCD).

VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)

Illustrious Member

@jennipt512 hi and many thanks hyour kind offer. I ill note your details. but be aware I am only an ordinary 'person' not a regualr trader.

VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)

Illustrious Member

@thomasandmatthew   thanks for the rec. I have registered and very quickly they telephoned to chat (and check I exist??) but I was asked who rec'd them.....is it OK to say your name or??

(@thomasribatejo)

@crazy-russian Yes, please do!  I doubt I'll get anything for it, but it can't do any harm.  My person there is Gavin Ward, if that matters at all.  I have not been able to fault them.

VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)

Illustrious Member

@thomasandmatthew   ok will do.  fingers crossed you get an intro reward!!

VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)

Illustrious Member

@thomasribatejo,,,many thanks that rec. I called them and registered. everything was excellent so I used them for my sale and transfer. I  gave your name as rec...so in theory you might get £50 for 'rec a friend'...unless thats new thing they just offred me !!

(@thomasribatejo)

@crazy-russian thanks so much!  I'll let you know if I do!  Glad it went well!

(@thomasribatejo)

Thanks for thinking to do this 🙂

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online