Sim card for use in Madeira – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Sim card for use in...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Sim card for use in Madeira

Community Member
Topic starter
(@john_mc)

Hi,

My wife and I will be visiting Madeira for 3 weeks in March. We both have unlocked U.S iPhones. We would like to swap out our existing sim cards for ones we can use while we are in Madeira. The sims should include 10-20gb of data with unlimited local calls and texts.

There are some available here in the U.S from Amazon including one for the Three (3) network. I’m not concerned about being able to make international calls back to the U.S while we are there. Can anyone recommend a good sim card that would work well in Madeira. If we can’t purchase it in the U.S before we leave, we have a 4-stop over in Lisbon airport if there are any retailers there we could use.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

12 Replies

Community Member
(@antonio_f)
Reputable Member

Most cell plans in Portugal have 3 to 10 GB of internet, and usually on a 24 months contract.

4 Replies
Community Member
(@john_mc)

@antonio_f Thanks, but what I'm looking for is just a prepaid sim card I can use for 3 weeks. I'm sure there is something like that.

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Reputable Member

@john_mc Yes, there prepaid sims you can use, but not with that much internet. And even some might say "unlimited calls and SMS", but the small letters will say 3000 or 5000 minutes/SMS.

You might want take a look at https://www.lycamobile.pt/en/bundles/.

Community Member
(@john_mc)

@antonio_f Thanks Antonio.

Premium Member
(@lowellmk)

Trusted Member

@john_mc 

Hey John -

I have a suggestion that might help, it worked for me last September.

There is a Vodafone kiosk on the bottom floor, right side (as you are facing the road) of the Lisbon airport.  There, you can buy a short-term SIM that will meet your requirements.  I don't know about Vodafone's coverage map in Madeira... you may want to check.

For about 15 Euros, I was able to get a SIM card with about the same plan that you are looking for.  Also, they configured the card for me while I watched. They spoke English and were fast and helpful.

Hope this helps.

L

Community Member
Topic starter
(@john_mc)

Hi L,

Thanks a lot for the information. I did see the Vodafone Travellers SIM card on their website and that looks like it would be perfect.

According to the website, there are two stores at the airport, one in the arrivals hall and the other in the departures hall. I'll be flying in from the US and after a 4 hour layover, flying on to Madeira. I assume that is considered a transit, so after landing I would expect to be directed to the departure hall without going to arrivals. So my question would be, is the Vodafone store in the departures area outside or inside security? 

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Cheers,

John

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@lowellmk)

Trusted Member

@john_mc 

Hey John!  I only noticed the Vodafone store outside of the security perimeter near the exit.  You may want to look at the Air Port website.....I seem to remember that they have a listing of all of the retail outlets and their locations.  By the way, you may be surprised at all of the "shopping" opportunities in that airport.

On a different note, where will you be staying in Madeira and for how long?  My wife and I will be going to Portugal and plan on spending about 6 months on the island.  Any tips for long-term rentals?

Thanks.

Premium Member
(@lowellmk)

Trusted Member

Here is the link to the Airport - all of the retail shops can be found there

https://www.aeroportolisboa.pt/en/lis/home

Community Member
Topic starter
(@john_mc)

Thanks for the link. For some reason, the site doesn't list either Vodafone store. Maybe the shops they list are permanent whereas the Vodafone stores are like kiosks - who knows!? 

We'll be visiting Madeira for three weeks and will be staying in two different Airbnbs. There is a big selection there. As far as long-term rentals are concerned, the best site I've found so far is flatio.com. 

Thanks again for your help.

John

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@lowellmk)

Trusted Member

@john_mc 

I had to work for it but it looks like the there are 2 Vodafone stores but they are outside of the security area! I just checked the Madeira airport and it does not have a Vodafone store. But there are at least 3 Vodafone stores in Funchal:

Hope that helps

Community Member
(@john_mc)

@lowellmk Thank you very much for doing this research!. I appreciate you finding out that the two Vodafone locations at the airport are outside security. I will just have to wait and get the SIMs at one of the Vodafone stores the day after we arrive in Funchal.

Cheers!

Premium Member
(@lowellmk)
Trusted Member

Great!

Please let me know how you like the island!

I can't wait to go.

• EI Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online