TMN 4g is no good for filmon - Page 5 – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
TMN 4g is no good f...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

TMN 4g is no good for filmon

Page 5 / 5

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@santaanita)
Prominent Member

well here we are 2 weeks after losing astra satellite so have been using filmon i get a message from TMN saying about fair usage as i am approching 12 gb and 15gb is my limit ,tonight as i got to 12,15 gb they slowed me down just done a speed test ,this will make you laugh
ping 102
download 0.12
upload 0.12
making skating on ice into a bloody marathon :x

24 Replies

VIP Member
(@chas-linda)
Illustrious Member

No maybe not but they are economical with the truth and various T&C that apply to any off their services that become apparent down the line

VIP Member
(@nordicman)

hi all,
Internet companies in Portugal, much like in the the UK, are selling on the magic words "up to (quoted amount ).
What you often get is something quite different.Unless you are lucky and on fiber optic.
Until the law is changed, where the company has to quote the internet speed you will actually receive, nothing is going to change anytime soon.
PT or a land line service (it makes no difference who/which company it is ),
much like the UK, PT look after the infrastructure, and its that which will effect the signal received..and infrastructure is about investment and money.
4G has a much higher signal than 3G, but still has to be rolled out..
We are all using the internet more, trying to get UK TV, which further increases the problems with internet strength.
Its always interesting to get and see the feedback from different people in different locations.
Best luck all,

Ian

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

Until the law is changed, where the company has to quote the internet speed you will actually receive, nothing is going to change anytime soon.

Not wishing to disagree unnecessarily or split hairs to the nth degree but that's simply not possible on ADSL or even (as I understand it) 3G / 4G networks.

Even if they were required to quote "typical" or "average" speeds / bandwidths these could be deemed to be misleading by customers who end up with llower.

VIP Member
(@nordicman)

It is possible to do, for example they already produce maps for 3G/4G , so you can enter an area, see where masts are, and find out what strength of signal is available.
If you ask PT what your usage is they can tell you how many Mb you may have used.
They can also up your internet signal during a telephone conversation.
Pt know exactly what signal strengths are available in areas, and for an isolated new install can advise the expected strength.
There are a number of additional factors that can effect your internet speed.
PT selling up to 12Mb but only able to provide 3Mb is at best incompetent ,
or is it dishonest.....
All the techs at PT I have spoken to, know the exact situation in our area.
PT, and other providers could simply be more honest in their selling methods, and should be able to quote within reason, a realistic figure of what signal strength an individual should receive.
Technology now allows that ...
Sorry but there we are ....

all the best

Ian

VIP Member
(@nickallport)
Honorable Member

PT selling up to 12Mb but only able to provide 3Mb is at best incompetent ,
or is it dishonest.....

This is exactly the issue, they are completely dishonest. We were sold 8mb broadband, which at the time was their lowest package. We actually received 0.8mb/s at best. And at times 0.4 or less. Numerous phone calls, including one where the engineer managed to get it up to 0.8 from 0.4. But they know this is all you can get, they'll never admit it, and when you ask for a discount based on the fact they can't provide the service they are selling, they flatly refuse. This went on for three years, not to mention appalling service and phone lines down for a week every time a sparrow farted...

At least now with Optimus having pretty decent coverage we finally seem to have found a solution. No more PT thankfully...

Page 5 / 5

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Serenity Banner
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online