Which covid test? – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum

learn portuguese

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

winsurance banner

Which covid test?

MaxG
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@maxgravy)
Trusted Member

We're flying to Lisbon on April 6th. I know we need a covid test 72 hours before we fly but I'm not sure which one. I've read that it needs to be a PCR. The quick (saliva) test seems to be accepted by all of the airlines and I've read it's fine on other forums but Ei! told me that it must be the nasal or throat swab. I'm having a hard time finding one in my area that will get the results back in time. Any and all info on this greatly appreciated. 

In the mean time, we sold our house! Yay! But that ice storm through the south messed up our schedule so we negotiated a lease-back for a few weeks. 

Every day there seems to be a new complication. Last week Delta canceled our flight to Lisbon. I waited on hold for three hours and had to push them to get a refund. It's the law. If they cancel they must offer a refund. It wasn't easy but we got it. At least we were able to find a less expensive flight. 

5 Replies

alan
VIP Member
(@alan)
Noble Member

This site gives the current rules. https://www.flytap.com/en-pt/alerts-and-informations?v=t

TAP is the state airline.

According to this (click on the green "see more+" button),  I think that you are at risk of being denied entry unless you are already a resident of Portugal.

You could also check with Lisbon airport https://www.aeroportolisboa.pt/en/lis/passenger-guide/what-you-need-to-know/covid-19

and, for more detail https://www.ana.pt/en/corporate/ana/faq

These rules are liable to change with little or no warning.

1 Reply
 MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Trusted Member

@alan Thank you for the link. It just says RT PCR. The quick saliva test is indeed  RT PCR. 

Passengers referred in paragraph a), entering or transiting through Portugal must present proof of laboratory testing (RT PCR) for the screening of SARS-CoV-2, with a negative result, performed within 72 hours prior to the time of departure, or they will be denied boarding. (including Portuguese citizens, residing in Portugal and their families).

Premium Member
(@davidiryna)
Eminent Member

Congratulations on selling the house and upcoming trip!

We also are wondering about saliva test. I wonder if results show which way test was taken...

Premium Member
(@charw23)
Eminent Member

Hello all, 

According to the IATA International Travel site, it states PCR test. Updated today, 2 March. Drill into Portugal, and the right hand sidebar has the requirements since Feb. 15. 

IATA - International Travel Document News (iatatravelcentre.com)

Congrats on selling the home... great progress!

Char

Premium Member
(@charw23)
Eminent Member

Another GREAT site is this one. Re-open EU (europa.eu)

Pick Portugal and the right hand side bar has different symbols to click on. Each one you select, will have drop down information regarding mask usage, vaccines, entry requirements, what establishments are currently open and updated status on pretty much everything. This covers the health situation, COVID measures, travel (air, boat, etc.).

Their travel portion confirms the PCR test requirement, see below. 

Is a coronavirus test required?

Passengers coming from countries that have an incidence rate higher than 150 cases per 100,000 inhabitants in the last 14 days must present a negative test to COVID-19 (RT-PCR), carried out within 72 hours before boarding time.

Children until 24 months of age do not need to submit supporting evidence of a negative RT-PCR SARS-CoV-2 test made within 72 hours before boarding.

More details are available at www.sef.pt

Play around with this site a bit. There really is great information, and it take a lot of the guessing out of it. 

All the best! 

Char

FWM Banner Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online