windows 10 "free" upgrade – Miscellaneous – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

windows 10 "free" upgrade

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
VIP Member
Topic starter
(@paulandcarol2)

Has anyone else been researching the forthcoming windows 10 "free" upgrade which starts next week, particularly with regard to language support ?

As far as I can tell the free upgrade will download and install in the originally installed language purchased with the PC/Laptop ignoring any display language alterations applied subsequently, the free version will not support new language packs, an upgrade to Pro will be required to add a language pack and uninstalling Windows 10 to revert back to your old Windows 7, Vista, or 8 will need you to have an install disk.

So if you bought your hardware from Radio Popular, Worten or wherever, in Portugal with a pre-installed version of Windows already installed and changed the display language to your 'native' language (English presumably) then, as far as I can see, you will be stuck with Windows 10 in Portuguese.

Comments pleeze -

6 Replies
VIP Member
(@catbert)

I've not tried Windows 10, but my understanding is that since Windows 8 you can download additional languages free whatever version you have.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@paulandcarol2)

Unfortunately the free upgrade for Windows 10, which will be released from this Wednesday, will not support language packs and that is the problem; adding language packs will require an upgrade, circa 99 euros at a guess, to Windows 10 Pro.

If you check out the Windows 10 forums online you will see that this has been a talking point for some months e.g.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... fea?auth=1

"Local language" refers to the system language, i.e. the original OEM version bundled with the hardware, not the currently displayed one.

VIP Member
(@peterfc)

Unfortunately the free upgrade for Windows 10, which will be released from this Wednesday, will not support language packs and that is the problem; adding language packs will require an upgrade, circa 99 euros at a guess, to Windows 10 Pro.

If you check out the Windows 10 forums online you will see that this has been a talking point for some months e.g.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... fea?auth=1

"Local language" refers to the system language, i.e. the original OEM version bundled with the hardware, not the currently displayed one.

Hi Paul and Carol

I stopped using windows when windows 95 was the one being used an EX was about to be releasted. I switched to Linux Suse and then i moved on ten years later to Ubuntu. It your computer is just for normal computer work then all is fine. For me i had an accounts and payroll package so i needed one machine just for that but my main machine was running Ubuntu.

You can even get windows program to run on it like Office ect. The link below in case you may be interested is worth looking at.

Peter

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

VIP Member
(@barlaventoexpert)

Or instead of Ubuntu,

Install Debian with XFCE or Linux Mint. TRUE LINUX!! ,))))

Works on all three of my laptops and with Libreoffice aboard is just like an old Windows XP machine. Much lighter running as well and much much lower risk (95%) of malware, hacks and virii!

Page 1 / 2

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal