Adapter plugs – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Adapter plugs  

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
(@ctaniab)
Eminent Member

Hi guys, does anyone know if you can buy adapter plugs here and if so, where from?  We brought a big box of cheap ones with us from UK, thinking that would do us, but one by one they've all stopped working - we're down to our last 2 but haven't found any in the local shops and Amazon shipping costs makes them really exorbitant, so any help to source some locally (ideally central Pt.) would be really appreciated.  Many thanks in advance, and have a lovely day 🙂

13 Replies
4 Replies
VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @ctaniab

Hi guys, does anyone know if you can buy adapter plugs here and if so, where from?  We brought a big box of cheap ones with us from UK, thinking that would do us, but one by one they've all stopped working - we're down to our last 2 but haven't found any in the local shops and Amazon shipping costs makes them really exorbitant, so any help to source some locally (ideally central Pt.) would be really appreciated.  Many thanks in advance, and have a lovely day 🙂

Hi ctaniab 😊

That's quite a name 😳

As to your adaptors, er, this is Portugal, the sockets are different 😕

Far, far, cheaper to buy two pin plugs and put them on all of your stuff 😊

Only have to do it once. And, as your tools & appliances wear out the new ones will come with two pin plugs and you will have lots of adaptors doing nothing 😳

All the best,

Chris 😘

VIP Member
(@ctaniab)

Eminent Member

Hi @christopherdouglas, er - that's what adapter plugs are (see photo above).   We're not idiots!  Only needed as a temporary measure till we can fix 2-pins to all our appliances.

VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @ctaniab

Hi @christopherdouglas, er - that's what adapter plugs are (see photo above).   We're not idiots!  Only needed as a temporary measure till we can fix 2-pins to all our appliances.

Hello,

I didn't suggest that you were idiots !!!

I merely said that it would be cheaper and easier to change the plugs!

No need to do be rude about it 😳

And, as you can't find adaptors you could go out and buy new plugs and change them long before you found adaptors 😊

Just trying to help, sorry that I bothered now.

Enjoy your new life in Portugal 👍

VIP Member
(@ctaniab)

Eminent Member

Hi again, @christopherdouglas

It was the "er, this is Portugal, the sockets are different 😕" that riled a little, Chris, but I'm sorry to you too that my response was a tad terse.  I knee-jerked.

We did find adapters in the end, and really cheap too (see previous photo).  

Thanks for your advise about changing the plugs tho - we're slowing working through our appliances. 

Best wishes (genuinely!)

Tania

Admin
(@astridff)

We bought owes on Amazon too. Have you looked at Amazon Spain to see if the shipping is cheaper?

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@ctaniab)

Eminent Member

Hi, @astridff - thanks, and no! But we will now 🙂

VIP Member
(@ctaniab)
Eminent Member

Well, just in case anyone else finds themselves in the same boat, we stumbled across these yesterday in an Intermarché - and €2.99 each, so far cheaper than Amazon 😊 

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

Hello @ctaniab and @christopherdouglas

Interesting thread.

I confess I still use these adapters on a few items I brought to Portugal for 2 reasons:

a) I'm not quite sure what to do with the earth lead when changing from 3 pin to 2 pin. Expect I bought the wrong 2 pin plug!  😕

b) One item is a laptop which I take to UK and USA, so it has to cope with 3 different plug types anyway.

Gerry 

embu
Community Member
(@embu)
Eminent Member

Hi, this is a similar kind of query I had, as in "will UK appliances work in Portugal?" ie washing machine, fridge, kettle etc etc? I have done a bit of camping and still stuck in 12V mode!! 😆 Because I wondered whether to bring all my own stuff, but if not, I'd have to buy it all again once I have moved... thanks  

2 Replies
VIP Member
(@ctaniab)

Eminent Member

Hi, @embu, standard Portuguese voltage is 230v, so UK appliances work just fine with the right adapter plugs. We brought  with us a large fridge-freezer, kettles, irons and other kitchen appliances, lamps, loads of electrical tools, stereos, etc etc - all have worked just fine once we had decent adapters.  For us, that was the critical factor; the box of cheap Chinese adapters we bought on eBay all stopped working within a day or two - a very false economy, but as my earlier post notes, we did find decent ones in a supermarket here, at a great price.  We didn't bring anything that needed plumbing in (like a washing machine) so can't advise on whether you'd need reducers or whatever for the pipework.  Perhaps someone else has advice on this?

embu
Community Member
(@embu)

Eminent Member

@ctaniab Many thanks for that 😊 

Page 1 / 2

UKTV Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online