Adapter plugs – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

Adapter plugs  

RSS

(@ctaniab)
Eminent Member VIP Member
02/09/2020 11:55 am  

Hi guys, does anyone know if you can buy adapter plugs here and if so, where from?  We brought a big box of cheap ones with us from UK, thinking that would do us, but one by one they've all stopped working - we're down to our last 2 but haven't found any in the local shops and Amazon shipping costs makes them really exorbitant, so any help to source some locally (ideally central Pt.) would be really appreciated.  Many thanks in advance, and have a lovely day 🙂

(@astridff)
Active Member Admin
02/09/2020 1:08 pm  

We bought owes on Amazon too. Have you looked at Amazon Spain to see if the shipping is cheaper?

ReplyQuote
(@ctaniab)
02/09/2020 1:13 pm  

Hi, @astridff - thanks, and no! But we will now 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@ctaniab)
04/09/2020 8:31 am  

Well, just in case anyone else finds themselves in the same boat, we stumbled across these yesterday in an Intermarché - and €2.99 each, so far cheaper than Amazon 😊 

ReplyQuote
(@christopherdouglas)
Estimable Member VIP Member
04/09/2020 5:50 pm  
Posted by: @ctaniab

Hi guys, does anyone know if you can buy adapter plugs here and if so, where from?  We brought a big box of cheap ones with us from UK, thinking that would do us, but one by one they've all stopped working - we're down to our last 2 but haven't found any in the local shops and Amazon shipping costs makes them really exorbitant, so any help to source some locally (ideally central Pt.) would be really appreciated.  Many thanks in advance, and have a lovely day 🙂

Hi ctaniab 😊

That's quite a name 😳

As to your adaptors, er, this is Portugal, the sockets are different 😕

Far, far, cheaper to buy two pin plugs and put them on all of your stuff 😊

Only have to do it once. And, as your tools & appliances wear out the new ones will come with two pin plugs and you will have lots of adaptors doing nothing 😳

All the best,

Chris 😘

ReplyQuote
(@ctaniab)
05/09/2020 9:21 am  

Hi @christopherdouglas, er - that's what adapter plugs are (see photo above).   We're not idiots!  Only needed as a temporary measure till we can fix 2-pins to all our appliances.

ReplyQuote
(@christopherdouglas)
Estimable Member VIP Member
05/09/2020 9:32 pm  
Posted by: @ctaniab

Hi @christopherdouglas, er - that's what adapter plugs are (see photo above).   We're not idiots!  Only needed as a temporary measure till we can fix 2-pins to all our appliances.

Hello,

I didn't suggest that you were idiots !!!

I merely said that it would be cheaper and easier to change the plugs!

No need to do be rude about it 😳

And, as you can't find adaptors you could go out and buy new plugs and change them long before you found adaptors 😊

Just trying to help, sorry that I bothered now.

Enjoy your new life in Portugal 👍

ReplyQuote
(@ctaniab)
06/09/2020 7:26 am  

Hi again, @christopherdouglas

It was the "er, this is Portugal, the sockets are different 😕" that riled a little, Chris, but I'm sorry to you too that my response was a tad terse.  I knee-jerked.

We did find adapters in the end, and really cheap too (see previous photo).  

Thanks for your advise about changing the plugs tho - we're slowing working through our appliances. 

Best wishes (genuinely!)

Tania

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Reputable Member Admin
06/09/2020 10:26 am  

Hello @ctaniab and @christopherdouglas

Interesting thread.

I confess I still use these adapters on a few items I brought to Portugal for 2 reasons:

a) I'm not quite sure what to do with the earth lead when changing from 3 pin to 2 pin. Expect I bought the wrong 2 pin plug!  😕

b) One item is a laptop which I take to UK and USA, so it has to cope with 3 different plug types anyway.

Gerry 

ReplyQuote
 embu
(@embu)
Active Member Community Member
13/09/2020 5:27 pm  

Hi, this is a similar kind of query I had, as in "will UK appliances work in Portugal?" ie washing machine, fridge, kettle etc etc? I have done a bit of camping and still stuck in 12V mode!! 😆 Because I wondered whether to bring all my own stuff, but if not, I'd have to buy it all again once I have moved... thanks  

ReplyQuote
(@ctaniab)
13/09/2020 10:36 pm  

Hi, @embu, standard Portuguese voltage is 230v, so UK appliances work just fine with the right adapter plugs. We brought  with us a large fridge-freezer, kettles, irons and other kitchen appliances, lamps, loads of electrical tools, stereos, etc etc - all have worked just fine once we had decent adapters.  For us, that was the critical factor; the box of cheap Chinese adapters we bought on eBay all stopped working within a day or two - a very false economy, but as my earlier post notes, we did find decent ones in a supermarket here, at a great price.  We didn't bring anything that needed plumbing in (like a washing machine) so can't advise on whether you'd need reducers or whatever for the pipework.  Perhaps someone else has advice on this?

ReplyQuote
 embu
(@embu)
Active Member Community Member
14/09/2020 6:20 pm  

@ctaniab Many thanks for that 😊 

ReplyQuote
 alan
(@alan)
Noble Member VIP Member
15/09/2020 10:48 pm  

The long term solution is to change all of your plugs to Portuguese ones.

In the short term it is economical to bring your multiway UK extension leads and replace the UK plugs on them with Portuguese ones.

The adaptors on the market are usually of typical Chinese quality. I need say no more, except that they are cheap.

The cylindrical plug used here has earth contacts on the side. It is called a "Shuko type F" plug. The very similar Shuko type E with an earth pin is used in some other EU counties, notably France.

The 2 pin plug  - Shuko type C (with no earth contact) is available with 2 pin diameters.

The larger one fits securely in a socket that is designed for the Shuko F plug, but these pins are too thick to fit in the standard 2 pin socket.

The thinner one goes into both sockets, but makes a bad contact or even falls out of the socket that is designed to takle the Shuko F plug.

Be aware that many Portuguese electricans do not fit an earth wire when wiring a house.

gerry liked
ReplyQuote

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online