Any success getting bank account remotely? – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

acp benefit

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

FWM Banner Ad

Any success getting bank account remotely?

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Eminent Member

As far as I can tell, it's now impossible for someone to get a Portuguese bank account remotely. We've been waiting almost 3 months on Atlantico who tell us each time we call that we are in the final stages (we've been this way for 2 moths). My lawyer tells me that it's not possible to do with a power of attorney either. We decided to go ahead with the visa application anyway (we went to our local embassy in Panama last Monday). We showed the the Atlantico emails that show we're "in progress" and they didn't say anything so, I don't know. 

Thoughts? Advice? Are we going to get rejected?

11 Replies

Premium Member
(@peggyl)
Reputable Member

Are you worried about being rejected for residency because you don't heave  Pt. bank account? I have not read anything that says your funds used to support yourself must all be in this country. When we went to our SEF meeting/interview we had our bank statements from our US accounts and we did have  sheere

@peggyL

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Eminent Member

@peggyl Yes - we heard that having a Portuguese bank with a year's worth of funds (based on minimum wage) was a requirement. We can get the account once we get to Portugal but we need to initial visa to do that. My concern is that the initial Visa will get rejected because we don't have a bank account there yet.

Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@jordan_zimmerman

Jordan, this is an un-edited c  ops directly from the SEF.pt site

APPLYING FOR A VISA (SHORT STAY VISA/TEMPORARY STAY VISA/RESIDENCE PERMIT)

Residence permits, for temporary stay or short stay, to third country nationals are issued on the following general conditions only:

• Having not being subject to a removal measure from the Country and within the ban period of entry into the national territory, following a removal from the country;
  • Do not have an alert in the Schengen Information System for purposes of refusing entry by any of the Contracting Parties;
  • There is no indication in SEF Integrated Information System for non-admission purposes under article 33;
  • Having means of subsistence, as defined by decree order of the Members of the Government responsible for home affairs and social security areas;
  • Having a valid travel document;
  • Having a travel insurance.

I WENT FURTHER INTO THE SEF SITE AND FOUND THIS LIST OF REQUIRED DOCUMENTS (I M NOT SHOUTING JUST WANT TO DISTINGUISH MY WORDS FROM THE COPY & PASTE.

Required documents

In order to apply for a visa, you need:

• a passport with at least two empty pages. The passport should have been issued within the last 10 years.  The passport must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the date on which you intend to leave the Schengen territory, or, in the case of multiple journeys, the date on which you intend to leave after the last stay. 
  • a visa application formSearch for available translations of the preceding link completed and signed.

Any person appearing in your travel document must complete a separate application form. The visa application form for a child under 18 must be signed by a parent or guardian.

• a recent identity photograph conform to ICAO standardsSearch for available translations of the preceding link.
  • in the countries where the Visa Information System is operational your fingerprints will be collected when you submit your application (exemptions exist for specific categories of applicants).
  • a visa feeSearch for available translations of the preceding link to be paid when you submit your application
  • a service fee to be paid if you are requested to submit your application at the offices of a service provider.
  • a travel medical insurance covering emergency medical, hospitalisation and repatriation (including in case of death). The minimum cover should be of 30.000 EUR. This insurance must be valid for the entire Schengen area and throughout the duration of the stay.
  • various documents relating to the purpose of your stay, evidence of means of support during your stay and your accommodation.

The complete list of documents can be consulted on the website of the consulate. During the processing time the consulate may, in individual cases, ask you to submit additional information or documents or you may be contacted for an interview.

NO WHERE, IN ANYTHING THAT I READ DOES IT SAY YOU MUST HAVE A PORTUGUESE ACCOUNT, NOWHERE. I DID NOT HAVE A PORTUGUESE ACCOUNT WHEN I WENT FOR MY SEF APPOINTMENT. I DID HAVE THE CURRENT BALANCE OF THE ACCOUNTS IN THE USA ON THE FINANC IAL INSTITUTIONS LETTERHEAD.

@peggyL

Premium Member
(@livinginusa)
Eminent Member

@jordan_zimmerman I enlisted the services of EI! (a Site Sponsor) a few months back and had no problems whatsoever acquiring a NIF and Bank Account while living in North Carolina.  I see you are a Premium Member, so you'd be eligible for a discount.......just my $.02

6 Replies
Premium Member
(@bigdhombre)

@livinginusa Hi, can you tell me how you sent sensitive info like social security numbers to open the bank account remotely? I am about to start the process to open an account with Millennium Bank. I've been emailing, but not sure if that is the best way to send SSN. Obrigado.

Premium Member
(@livinginusa)

Eminent Member

@bigdhombre Social Security Numbers were sent directly to Cristina, our Representative at EI! via encrypted email. Cristina then personally provided them to our Bank Representative directly.

Hope that helps....

Premium Member
(@bigdhombre)

@livinginusa Great I will try this approach. Thanks!

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Trusted Member

@bigdhombre We also used Ei! to get our NIF and open an account at Millennium. They both called us to get our US social security numbers.

Premium Member
(@bigdhombre)

@maxgravy Interesting, I've been working with Ei for the NIF, although all communication so far has been through email. Thanks for this info, looks like I have several ways to move forward.

Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@livinginusaThank You. I am so very glad that you were able to have the help of Ei to get all those things done. We have been here since 2017 & purchased our 1st house in 2017. We are on house #2 now. Things were a little different back then. A lot of rules & restrictions have been re-evaluated based on the issues of COVID restrictions. Seems like no matter how much I read, there is always something changing. 

The important thing is that you are all taken care of. Hope to see you here in sunny Pt. soon.

@peggyL

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)
Trusted Member

We are also using help of EI! They have been great - quick to respond, prompt to the point, very attentive. And, the most important, experienced!
With their POA template we’ve notarized our POA while in the US and received our NIFs. EI! also coordinated a connection with the Millenium bank which has contacted us to collect an additional personal data for opening a bank account. It’s the second week we are in this NIF/bank account process. No issues or obstacles. 
As other members mentioned, you can find the EI! contacts here, on EP, and being a premium member get 10% discount. 
good luck!

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online