Any success getting bank account remotely? - Page 2 – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Any success getting bank account remotely?

Page 2 / 3

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

As far as I can tell, it's now impossible for someone to get a Portuguese bank account remotely. We've been waiting almost 3 months on Atlantico who tell us each time we call that we are in the final stages (we've been this way for 2 moths). My lawyer tells me that it's not possible to do with a power of attorney either. We decided to go ahead with the visa application anyway (we went to our local embassy in Panama last Monday). We showed the the Atlantico emails that show we're "in progress" and they didn't say anything so, I don't know. 

Thoughts? Advice? Are we going to get rejected?

32 Replies

Premium Member
(@olivia)

hello all I'm also trying to obtain a Port bank account from USA the last new hurdle, contacted Ei left email... a site mentioned here said Investors Bank in US

has affiliation to Millennium... they bought out the New Jersey branch and can't help

tdn
Community Member
(@tdn)
Estimable Member

Hi Jordan, 

just wondering, if you had any news in regards to your visa. I am assuming it is still too early. Fingers crossed for you. 

Anonymous

Getting a bank account prior to arrival in Portugal, and prior to being issued a D7 VISA from the consulate is only required by the Pt. Embassy/consulate office in Washington D.C. and the consulate in San Francisco.

Every consulate is allowed to make their own requirement on this issue. If you are going through the consulate in a different state, check with your consulate. When I last enquired only those 2 consulates required a bank account prior to receiving your VISA. You do not have to pay anyone to set up your bank account  in all circumstances. 

(yes, David I have checked)

@peggyL

Premium Member
(@bigdhombre)
Eminent Member

Hi, has anyone here who is a freelancer from the US been asked for a 1040 as part of opening a bank account? That's one of the bits of info that Millennium (via Ei!) is asking - so I guess it's legit, but I hadn't seen this mentioned before. 

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

Yeah - Millennium wanted our 2019 tax returns. They wanted a bazillion documents.

4 Replies
Premium Member
(@bigdhombre)

Eminent Member

@jordan_zimmerman OK, good to know - thanks!

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Estimable Member

@jordan_zimmerman. We had same the same initial experience.we provided all required docs and now have our millennial bank account up and running thanks to the coordination with EI and vera at millennia bank

Community Member
(@pmd0987)

@jgibson Would you mind sharing Vera's contact information? Trying to reach out to Millenium BCP in Lisbon

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@pmd0987 vera.tome@millenniumbcp.pt

Page 2 / 3

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online