Apps forcing Portugal language – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Apps forcing Portugal language

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@daleglencullen-net)

Hi

We have just moved to Portugal.

I find it weird when a lot of apps and online shopping force the use of Portuguese language and English is not an option. This includes Mercedes Me, Amazon Spain (other Amazon sites often say they don't deliver to Portugal), most Portuguese online shopping sites. When I ask, I get told its "country specific".

One can use Google translate on the websites, but not on the app on the phone.

Has anyone found a workaround for these forced use of Portuguese n Apps?

Thanks

Dale

5 Replies

VIP Member
(@barlaventoexpert)
Honorable Member

ThomasRibatejo beat me to it!

When one has come to live in a country with another official language one should make EVERY effort to learn the language.

Why should a Portuguese business retailer's website or app involve the cost of transltion UNLESS they are assured of a good return from new business. (i.e. if they are only going to get a few hundred users, is it worth it!)

Bottom line is - Learn the Language**  

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@daleglencullen-net)

I think you missed the introduction "we have just moved to Portugal". We are learning Portuguese, but it doesn't happen overnight.

There are ± 700,000 expats living in Portugal out of a total population of 10 million. Thats a pretty big market to serve. So it certainly doesn't make sense for international companies like Mercedes / Amazon to lock the language to the language of the region. It should be just a check of a box to change it - they already have English on their system.

At least on websites, Google Translate offers me "SLAUGHTERABLE BEDS" when searching for Murphy beds.

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member
Posted by: @daleglencullen-net

There are ± 700,000 expats living in Portugal......

Of which only 22,431 are English (2021 census), but yes it does take time to learn Portuguese.

There are approximately 271,000 Portuguese living in England which, as a proportion of the population, is twice the number of Brits in Portugal. So it could be asked why isn't Amazon UK offered in Portuguese? 

Premium Member
(@tygger)
Estimable Member

It does seem that they may be missing out on a business opportunity, there may only be circa 22,000 British/English? Permanent residents in Portugal, but I wonder how many of the other expats are from English speaking countries e.g. USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, there's also probably a large number of other nationalities who speak English when in Portugal, even though its not their first language. Then you have the very large numbers who are tourists, short and longterm visitors. The population of the UK is in excess of 72 million and all the Portuguese in the UK speak English, as do many younger Portuguese who live in Portugal, so it would be silly to have Portuguese "Apps" in the UK.

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner
  • Serenity Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online