Baggage Certificate – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Baggage Certificate

Community Member
Topic starter
(@traceyjmo65)
Eminent Member

Hi

My husband and I have been living in Portugal for 10 months and have completed on our

house purchase this week. We have requested our belongings to be sent from UK where they've been in storage and are facing a nightmare of paperwork!

One question that is causing a big headache is how to apply for the Baggage Certificate from here. On the instructions list it says if applying from Portugal you must get an international cheque (presumably printed at the bank?) and send with completed forms, (though on the Embassy website it says they will ask by email  for payment by bank transfer) but seems to imply that your self addressed envelope for return of certificate must be back to Portugal but our shipping company in UK need it! Can we put a UK address on the self addressed envelope so that the certificate is sent to the shipping company in UK rather than here? 

10 Replies

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)
Estimable Member

Following. I'm trying to figure this out as well. We plan to move household stuff in the fall or winter. It seems to be quite complicated. How detailed does the itemized list need to be? Box of kitchen tools? Or list every item. 

5 Replies
Community Member
(@traceyjmo65)

Eminent Member

@maxgravy Hi, I have no idea how detailed the belongings list needs to be as we packed up 10 months ago so it's listed the way the storage company did it at the time which is big items of furniture etc listed individually and cartons and crates just listed by what was written on their labels by myself. I hope and pray this is going to be ok!

Are you already living in Portugal?

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Estimable Member

@traceyjmo65 Yes, we've been living in Lisbon since early April. We're planning a return trip to get stuff from storage. We don't have much to ship, mostly family mementos. A lot of it we'll bring back in our suitcases.

Community Member
(@traceyjmo65)

Eminent Member

@maxgravy we're beginning to wish we had stuck to just personal goods but didn't feel buying all new furniture etc once here was justifiable or affordable for us.

Good luck with your move ☺

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)

Noble Member

@traceyjmo65 

You're cutting it fine as the free importation (no import duty or IVA to pay) of your personal effects only applies during the first 12 months of your residency if not being imported from another EU member state.

Community Member
(@traceyjmo65)

Eminent Member

@old-bloke thank you, I am aware of this. Our residency certificate is dated 16th Dec.

Premium Member
(@brooks63)

Hi Traceyjmo65, can I ask , did you resolve your query?

We will be in a similar position in a few months from now. We complete on our house at the end of the month and also have the daunting task of that paperwork coming. 

We are of course going to follow the advise of the Portuguese Consulate on their website which is as clear as mud and throws up more questions than answers. 

We are with PSS removals and have a "ton" of stuff to bring over!

1 Reply
Community Member
(@traceyjmo65)

Eminent Member

@brooks63 Hi

Fortunately our storage company in UK have taken the task in hand and are liaising with the shipping company to get the paperwork resolved. No one seems to be totally clear as to what is required as things keep changing! Good luck with your move 🤞

Community Member
(@dafnii)

Hello All,

We are still in the UK, looking into the Baggage Certificate now and also find it very confusing regarding how exactly should the belongings be listed in the inventory - very detailed or general? Also it says they need serial numbers of major electrical appliances - what is considered not a major electrical appliance? A toaster? A kettle? Is a slow cooker a major or minor one?

Also as I understand, as the UK is not in the EU the Baggage Certificate is absolutely necessary, right? 

Good luck all with moving your belongings! 🙂

Community Member
(@bobble)

Following as we are planning to move early 2022 and the baggage certificate seems to be a huge grey area with very little firm information available.

I'd be very interested to know if anyone makes sense of all this!!!

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online