Bom dia alegria! We made it! We're here in Lisbon – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Bom dia alegria! We made it! We're here in Lisbon

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

Hello Folks,

We arrived in Lisbon late last night and took our first walk about town today. Wow!! We're so thankful for this forum and the people here who've been so helpful on this journey. 

Muito Obrigado

21 Replies

Premium Member
(@michael_tn)
Trusted Member

Great! We're entering our 6th week in county and loving it!

5 Replies
Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@michael_tn What area are you in?

Premium Member
(@michael_tn)

Trusted Member

@jordan_zimmerman We spent a week in Lisbon, then three in Cascais, now we are in Alvor in the Algarve. We have lined up a 1 year rental in Lagos starting May 1 as well. 

What are your plans for exploration? Would love to have coffee or cocktail with some fellow expats.

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

We'll be in Lisbon for a month. Then, Setúbal, then either Cascais or Estoril. We're trying to figure out where we want to live. Our SEF appointment is May 28 (though I hear they're getting canceled - fingers crossed). We go home mid-July to finish up and then move here permanently in Nov/Dec.

Premium Member
(@michael_tn)

Trusted Member

@jordan_zimmerman We loved Cascais/Estoril and had to choose between apartments there and here in the Algarve, and chose Lagos for the first year. We tried to book some viewings in Setubal but were never able to arrange any appointments. Leslie and I will be in Lisbon the first of May (2/3/4 I think) for our SEF appt as well. Perhaps we could have a cocktail?

Also, the Mercado de Vila in Cascais is excellent, be sure to check it out. 

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

@michael_tn I sent you a PM

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

@jordan_zimmerman and @michael_tn

So nice to hear you have made it and that our community has helped in some small way. Congratulations and welcome from us all and here's to many, many years of enjoyment in this wonderful country. 🍾 🍸 🍾 🍸 🍾 🍸 

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@michael_tn)

Trusted Member

@gerry Indeed, this community has been a wonderful resource for making this adventure work so well. Thanks all!

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

We just went to the Lidl on R. Leão de Oliveira. The vegetables were a bit old and a bit expensive. The meat/fish/chicken, though, were outstanding and at a good price. So, a mixed bag. I want to go to Continente next to see if I like it better.

2 Replies
Premium Member
(@michael_tn)

Trusted Member

@jordan_zimmerman yes, the joys of hunting and gathering! i can highly recommend the Mercado 31 Janerio for fresh food in Lisbon, we loved it. I've found that for hypermarkets, I like Auchan and Continente, but be sure to visit whatever local mercado da vila that is available! And I am just going to say, I love that my chicken tastes like chicken again, in the states it has gotten to taste like nothing!

Premium Member
(@jordan_zimmerman)

Trusted Member

Yes - I'm looking forward to the chicken, fish and pork here. We've been living in Panamá for the last 8 years and the chicken and pork are excellent there (much better than the States). But, it looks to be even better here.

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

This could start something but I don't rate Lidl's fruit and veg. Pingo Doce is always my first choice for the healthy stuff. 😊 

5 Replies
Premium Member
(@michael_tn)

Trusted Member

@gerry We should start a poll: Auchan: Pingo Doce: Continente: Lidl : Intermarche: etc ... LOL

Admin
(@gerry)

Reputable Member

@michael_tn

I like that idea. Will put it to our Head of Surveys 😀 

Premium Member
(@peggyl)

Reputable Member

@michael_tn

When my husband shops (I stay home on lockdown) he goes to 4 grocery stores to get all the items that we use regularly. Each store carries certain things that you can only get there. It takes him half the day to shop! 🙄 But I think there are beer stops in there!

@peggyL

Premium Member
(@davidiryna)

Eminent Member

@gerry We like Pingo Doce as well.

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)

@gerry the veg in our Lidl is very good, it's the Intermarché that's not so good here...

Page 1 / 2

EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online