Bom dia alegria! We made it! We're here in Lisbon - Page 2 – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

learn portuguese

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Bom dia alegria! We made it! We're here in Lisbon

Page 2 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@jordan_zimmerman)
Trusted Member

Hello Folks,

We arrived in Lisbon late last night and took our first walk about town today. Wow!! We're so thankful for this forum and the people here who've been so helpful on this journey. 

Muito Obrigado

21 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasandmatthew)

Quality of fresh produce in some supermarket chains can vary signficantly from store to store.  As a general rule:

Continente (and its various sub-brands)
Auchan
Lidl
Aldi
and to quite an extent, Pingo Doce

these tend to be very centralised in the sourcing and supply of their stores - and frustratingly (notably for Continente, given it's such a big PT company) much can be sourced abroad even when in season here.

Leclerc
Intermarché
and, in my limited experience of it, Minipreço

these are franchises, so the stock can vary quite significantly, as can the quality.  Typically, they have more that is local, at least to PT - and in one area we know well, Intermarché have excellent freshness, quality and value in fruit and veg.

Local greengrocers here are usually better value than supermarkets - but use your eyes and experience, as some have fruit and veg as a sideline which doesn't sell well.  I find the quality and presentation of the herbs (larger bunches informally tied is good) and the type and condition of onions to be useful indicators, personally.

Municipal markets are normally the absolute best place, but where these have been re-done for tourism, the stall rents can be high, driving out the small sellers.  If you mostly see older ladies in housecoats, less glossy presentation, and evidence of turnover, you're probably in the right place.  If you see shiny fruit, smartly branded food stalls, and people taking photos, you may well be paying over the odds without a guarantee of quality.

In urban areas, the municipal market may look from the outside like a seedy concrete car park... but I feel mugged paying for fruit and veg at Continente, so take my chances quite happily for more local fruit and veg than I can carry for about €10!

1 Reply
 Zoom
Premium Member
(@zoom)

Eminent Member

@thomasandmatthew thanks for the mini-lesson - this is exactly why we plan to live in the towns/neighborhoods we're considering for a while - hard to get this sort of info from Google maps or Idealista!

And speaking of mugged - don't ever shop in a US market - we pay $4-5/lb for crappy tomatoes that could double as cricket balls, and the expensive "organic" stuff is even more expensive - €10 worth of fruits and veggies would fit into your pant pockets...but would buy you about 3kilos of ground beef

MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)
Trusted Member

I like Pingo Doce but Continente at the Colombo Mall is the biggest grocery store I've ever seen. They have everything! (except sweet smoked Spanish paprika)

1 Reply
 MaxG
Premium Member
(@maxgravy)

Trusted Member

And welcome to Lisbon! We're in the Laranjeiras area. Would love to meet up with some other expats. 

Page 2 / 2

spartan Fx

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online