Brits moving to Portugal & applying for Non Habitual Resident tax status - Page 2 – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

Brits moving to Portugal & applying for Non Habitual Resident tax status

Page 2 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@anthill)

My boyfriend and I are from the UK. We wish to buy a house in Portugal soon, hopefully by the end of the year, and settle in Portugal.

We have never lived in Portugal before, and therefore believe we may be eligible for the Non-Habitual Resident (NHR) tax regime. We are passive income earners with substantial savings.

From the NHR requirements it seems we must be resident in Portugal, or at least we must have a house into which we're presumed to intend to move.

1. Do we have to buy a house first and just 'chance it' that we might be turned down for NHR?
2. If we get on the NHR regime by March 2021, will we be eligible for state healthcare in Portugal?

(We're a little confused as to whether we'll be classed as 'EU residents', due to Br*xit.)

15 Replies

Community Member
Topic starter
(@anthill)

Let's suppose we can't push through a house purchase before the end of 2020...

We're now considering moving to Portugal anyway (e.g. in September 2020), and renting a place until we find a house we want to buy.

Of course, as x-camone says, we'll still need a certificate of registration of residency so that we are eligible for state healthcare.

Our tenancy agreement will clearly show that we moved to Portugal during the Brexit transition period. Any 'gotchas' here? Would a three- or six-month tenancy agreement make us eligible for the certificate?

Community Member
Topic starter
(@anthill)

Also on the subject of obtaining the certificate of registration of residency:
I've read contradictory accounts of the requirements for this (for EU citizens). 😕

One website says I need to prove I have health insurance. Really? I need health insurance, in order to obtain residency, in order to obtain 'free' healthcare...?

Another website says I need health insurance unless Portuguese people are eligible for free healthcare in my home country. I presume Portuguese people resident in the UK are able to use the NHS, so this account of the requirements would suggest I don't need to obtain health insurance to get the certificate!

Perhaps someone would be able to clarify this part of the requirements too, please? 🙏
(As well as the question above, re minimum length of tenancy?)

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@christopherdouglas)

Estimable Member
Posted by: @anthill

Also on the subject of obtaining the certificate of registration of residency:
I've read contradictory accounts of the requirements for this (for EU citizens). 😕

One website says I need to prove I have health insurance. Really? I need health insurance, in order to obtain residency, in order to obtain 'free' healthcare...?

Another website says I need health insurance unless Portuguese people are eligible for free healthcare in my home country. I presume Portuguese people resident in the UK are able to use the NHS, so this account of the requirements would suggest I don't need to obtain health insurance to get the certificate!

Perhaps someone would be able to clarify this part of the requirements too, please? 🙏
(As well as the question above, re minimum length of tenancy?)

Hi Ant,

On the question of the residency certificate, in our experience, we did not need any proof of owning or renting a property. What we did need, was a letter from our local Freguesia (village council) stating that we lived at this address. (One of the first things to do is to go and meet your local Freguesia. Don't worry about the language, they will appreciate the fact that you are trying to mix in. Afterwards, they are an absolute mine of help & information. And they know everyone, builders, whatever 😉)

On the question of health insurance, rubbish.

Definitely not needed for a residency certificate.

5 years on, and looking at Portuguese citizenship, maybe. Then, proof of entitlement to Portuguese health service (standard service, which is available to everyone. You pay for appointments €7.50, blood tests various from ¢50 to €2 each, prescriptions € dependant upon the drug €5 - 30. Appointments, usually sit and wait. Blood tests, sit and wait at the hospital, or go to a private clinic (every 100 meters in most towns 😳) Prescriptions, usually a few minutes in the Pharmacist.

Over aged 65, some of these, plus some operations, are free.

How sickly are you? If you need lots of appointments, long term health treatment then an insurance policy may be the way to go.  Over aged 65, lots of this, including some operations, are free.

You also need your passports and a tax number (NIF)I

We are in a largely Portuguese area in central Portugal. Some, or all, of this may differ in a large town or city. It shouldn't but, this is Portugal 😄

All the best,

Chris

VIP Member
(@richardhenshall)
Noble Member

Like many other Brits considering a move this year you are keen to secure your residency rights as quickly as possible and may be seeking shortcuts.

A tenancy agreement (on its own) does not provide eligibility to seek registration of residency - it merely evidences that you have rented a property.  It will usually be assumed that you're living at the property but they may also seek other evidence that you are living there.  You don't need to own or rent, you could be living with a friend in their property and have no tenancy agreement but still be resident - it's perhaps a little more tricky to provide the evidence in that situation.

It is living in Portugal and intending to continue to do so (in accordance with the EU freedom of movement rules (and the Withdrawal Agreement)) that makes you eligible to seek registration of that residency (and after 90 days makes you obliged to register that residency).

Admin
(@astridff)

We have just completed a webinar discussing the D7 Visa and discussed with our guest Gilda that we should do another webinar to discuss what Brits should be doing NOW to secure their future in Portugal prior to Brexit. Would this be of interest to everyone? To clarify?

1 Reply
Community Member
(@ceecee)

@astridff

Hi Astrid Im new and YES.. I would be very interested in that proposed webinar please. Thank you!

Admin
(@astridff)

Let me try and arrange it. Please ensure you are on the email list and keep an eye out on our calendar for when it happens 🙂

Page 2 / 2

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€37 / €347 Month / Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€17 / €97 Month / Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online