Can I Open Portugese Bank Account In UK – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

learn portuguese

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

Can I Open Portugese Bank Account In UK

Community Member
Topic starter
(@woodbine)
Eminent Member

In the near future I'm hoping to move to Portugal on a D7 passive income residence visa. I may be a little low on the income requirements for this, but have substantial savings which I hope they will take into account.

To help my case when I apply for the visa, and as an act of faith, I would like to open a Portugese bank account beforehand. I will then transfer enough money into the account so that I can demonstrate that I have ample funds to live on in Portugal.

Can I open a Portugese bank account now in preparation without visiting Portugal? Is there a recommended bank? Thanks for any advice.

7 Replies

alan
VIP Member
(@alan)
Noble Member

Look for a Portuguese bank that has a London office.

Santander-Totta has one

, but it has cut back on its services in the last year or so. It is now just an office, but it used to be a bank branch.  I would suggest that you try to contact them by phone number given on the above link.

We still have an account with them, which we use for UK to PT bank transfers, and find them very helpful. Any money transferred to this account appears the next day in our Portuguese Santander-Totta account. 

If you wish to test this, I can give you our Santander-Totta London account number, and when you do a bank transfer to it, will report back as soon as the money appears in our local account. 😉

Alan

2 Replies
Community Member
(@woodbine)

Eminent Member

@alan

Thanks for your reply, Alan. Will try Santander Totta and see how I get on. Gives some confidence being part of big Santander bank in these uncertain times.

Like the idea about doing a test transfer to your account. You didn't used to be a Nigerian government officer did you, or son of a deposed Nigerian president? Used to get lots of emails from these, saying something similar.   😉 

Premium Member
(@jgibson)

Trusted Member

@woodbine

🤣 🤣 🤣 

alan
VIP Member
(@alan)
Noble Member

Looks like I´ve been rumbled. 😉

Community Member
(@kiukkien)

@woodbine

not sure if you already managed to open the account. In any case, we managed to open it from a Santander Totta Portugal representative office in Germany mid last year (at the time we were living there). We took an appointment, went there with our NIF (we had it done a while ago when we were in Portugal on hols), passports and got it sorted. Once done you can even order a debit card and you will get it delivered from Portugal to your home address.

2 Replies
Community Member
(@woodbine)

Eminent Member

@kiukkien

Thanks for your reply. Forgot about the NIF. So I would need one to open the account, presumably? Can I get a NIF in UK, or do I have to travel to Portugal for it? Obviously a bit difficult at present.

Community Member
(@kiukkien)

@woodbine

yes you do need a NIF as far as I know. there is a way to get a NIF from abroad but you would need to get a legal representative in Portugal.

"Getting a NIF for non-residents of Portugal

If you are a non-resident of Portugal and want to apply for a Portuguese taxpayer number from outside the country (for example, if you want to buy property in Portugal), you can get a temporary NIF through a Portuguese lawyer or financial representative in Portugal who agrees act on your behalf."

You will of course have to double check because of the actual Brexit situation but this is the standard procedure.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online