Changing address/applying for residency – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Changing address/ap...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

Blevins Franks Banner

Changing address/applying for residency  

RSS

(@wosiebeegs)
Active Member Community Member
28/06/2020 1:45 pm  

So, when we do finally get to buy our house, I presume we'll need to change the address for our NIF number and our bank account (Santander) before we can use those to apply for residency. Does anyone know how long that will take? We're planning on, hopefully, owning the house sometime in September and will make a few trips over before moving permanently at the end of October, do you think November and December is enough time to get everything sorted?

Many thanks in advance.

(@hartmill)
Estimable Member VIP Member
28/06/2020 4:48 pm  

Where you are coming from may have an effect on what steps you have to take. It also depends on where you are moving to. I would have thought that you should be able vist the Social Security office and your bank within a day. It may even be possible to do those two things on line, perhaps someone else knows?

ReplyQuote
(@wosiebeegs)
28/06/2020 5:34 pm  

Thanks @hartmill, that's really helpful.

We're coming from the UK and planning on living near Cartaxo in the Santarem area.

ReplyQuote
(@lincolnbaggie)
Estimable Member Admin
28/06/2020 6:58 pm  

If you are talking about a residency certificate from your local Camara, and assuming you are an EU resident at the moment, then there is no need to have your NIF number registered to your Portuguese address (or even your bank account registered to a PT address); the NIF address and residency certificate are not related. For a residency certificate you only need to have proof of an address in PT (deeds of your house or a rental agreement etc) and possibly proof of money to support yourself or healthcare depending on your local council (though that was never mentioned in my local Camara). Get an atestado (certificate) de residencia from your Freguesia using proof of your PT address (or statements from witnesses) and use that atestado at your Camara to get the residency certificate. You will need an NIF number to do that, but you obviously have one of those already.

Changing the address for your NIF number to PT implies tax residency in PT as far as the Portuguese tax system seems to work (which means filling in a tax return in PT each year, but that is different from having a residency certificate); you would do that at your local Financas office (takes minutes, depending on the queuing system status), but there is no need to do that to get a 5-year temporary residency certificate.

ReplyQuote
(@lincolnbaggie)
Estimable Member Admin
28/06/2020 7:18 pm  

I went through the whole process 18 months ago and it was very painless. Feel free to message me if you want more specific details of the process.

Jives liked
ReplyQuote
(@wosiebeegs)
29/06/2020 8:24 am  

Hi @lincolnbaggie thank you so much, that is really helpful and I will bear you in mind if we need help when we come to go through the process.

ReplyQuote

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Join any Group within our Online Community
    • Get social on Zoom meet-ups and webinars
    • Include your local events in our events calendar
    • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
    • Receive exclusive member benefits and discounts from our partners
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €20 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online