Cost of Living – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Mia Esmeriz Acadamy Banner 1

Cost of Living  

Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

Hi all. My wife and I plan to retire in Portugal. Our plan has been to pay off our debt before making the move and we have targeted late 2022/early 2023 for that. Recently, though, life has decided to throw us some serious curve balls and we may find ourselves making the move sooner than that, possibly early next year. We are hoping to get an idea of the cost of living in a few areas from folks who already live there, for planning purposes. We understand that CoL varies widely depending on lifestyle, location, etc. Hopefully a few folks from here can help us out with what they are currently paying for rent, utilities, phone, etc in some of the areas we are interested in. Long-term, we are looking to live in a small town/village close to the ocean/beach. Initially we will probably locate to a more central location which will allow us to explore and decide exactly where we want to live. Some locations we are considering are Setubal, Tavira, Lagos or Portimao. We are not interested in northern Portugal (Porto), or eastern Portugal (near Spain). Any thoughts would be very much appreciate. Thank you!

6 Replies

Premium Member
(@jives)
Eminent Member

Hello

I found this couple on youtube informative and tracked down the episode on cost of living in Portugal

There's also a particular blog which I can't find at the mo but when I do I'll link to it.

The 3 key areas to controlling budgets and CoL are

Housing

Transport/

Food

Everything else is arguably discretionary and assuming you are debt free.

Warm wishes

J

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

@jives Thank you. I have watched their videos (until they moved to the Phillipines), as well as videos from Lisbon Diaries. I am hoping for a few more inputs.

Premium Member
(@jives)

Eminent Member

@bdgfn

And here's a blog post on one couples costs

http://casavalhal.com/cost-of-living-in-portugal-monthly-budget/

Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

@jives Thank you. That is very interesting.

Admin
(@astridff)

Cost of living is a popular topic asked when moving abroad. We will be having the following webinar coming up about supermarket shopping. Should give you a good idea about the basic costs of groceries.

Please let me know if there is anything specific you would like to know about.

https://expatsportugal.com/event/portugal-calling-cost-of-living-in-portugal-supermarket-shopping/

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

@astridff Thank you, Astrid. I am already signed up for this webinar!

Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online