Driving from Santander – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Driving from Santander  

Page 1 / 5

Premium Member
(@wayneb)
Eminent Member

We have booked our ferry and if all things go well we should be coming over early October.

Has anyone got some good advice on places to stop and get fuel in Spain etc?
We are planning coming down to Vilar Formoso through Palencia following the sat nav. But happy to make small detours etc.

109 Replies

Premium Member
(@goodmorningportugal)
Estimable Member

Hi Wayne

We stayed one night in Spain, here - https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/el-roble.en-gb.html?aid=347349;label=msn-t7WuiVu58kQPUwE9O%2ATfIQ-80676740313211%3Atikwd-17290208202%3Aloc-152%3Aneo%3Amte%3Adec%3Aqscervera%20de%20pisuerga;sid=3e878e6274531d1a9db4959f153cb1cc

Nice town.

No idea on petrol, was just glad to get some and enjoy a great service station on our way to Geres, which was wonderful for our first night in PT (-:

VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)
Illustrious Member

fill up in Spain, anywhere but give yourself enough fuel for 25 miles from Santander...fill up far cheaper than UK

then fill again just before the Portugal border...again far cheaper there than in portugal

Salamanca is a great place for a break if you need one other than fuel stop

you can eat and easilly spend 3 hours wandering. but that would mean an overnight stop somewhere??you dont say how far you going!!

Premium Member
(@wayneb)
Eminent Member

Thanks, I was looking at Salamanca on Google Maps. I was wondering if the services were like in the UK, some great, some not so great! Looking for some nice stops to stretch out and chill for a while, and enjoy a break for an hour or so. We are driving to Porto de Mos near Leiria.

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@crazy-russian)

Illustrious Member

@wayneb

well I havent been to them all but imo the ones I stopped at were all clean and OK for a wander about leg stretch!

I go down to Caldas de Rainha and do it in a day..around 8 hours..but I only stop for 'nature' and grab a coffee and ice cream for energy

so if you looking for longer stops or better food supplies I cannot help...sorry.....except

definitely Salamanca for an extended stop if you taking your time

Community Member
(@wosiebeegs)
Trusted Member

Hi @wayneb we're also driving down, from Bilbao rather than Santander, in early October 🙂 We'll probably drive to Guarda and stop for a night before carrying on to our new home in Setil.

Hope the drive and move goes well.

Page 1 / 5

UKTV Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online