EU Residence Certificate/CRUE - Supporting Documents Questions – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Ei! Migration Banner

EU Residence Certificate/CRUE - Supporting Documents Questions  

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@woodbine)

When visiting the town hall to apply for a residence certificate/CRUE I have read that you need to take your passport, declaration that you have sufficient funds for yourself/family, declaration that you are covered by health insurance and also proof of address (lease, utility bill, NIF, etc)

With the declarations for funds and health insurance - do these need to be written in Portugese?

What sort of health insurance is acceptable (British citizen)? Is EHIC card and travel insurance acceptable?

Finally, will I need to take an interpreter to the town hall?

Apologies for the basic questions. Thanks to anyone who can give advice.

10 Replies

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

Currently Brits don't need health insurance.

When registering before 31/12/20, the requirement is to declare you have sufficient income, some camaras might want you to prove it. I used my pension forecast statement.

You don't need an interpreter as the camaras are familiar with the process, you can take one if you want.

Community Member
Topic starter
(@woodbine)

Thanks again, O-B - I am very grateful for your invaluable help.

Just two more question? If I want to apply for the CRUE, I only have a small income at present - £6700 p.a. However, I have substantial savings in UK bank/savings accounts.

Would such a small income be sufficient? Would they also take savings into account?

5 Replies
Premium Member
(@luise)

Trusted Member

@woodbine I got my residency this week. They asked about income but didn't ask for any proof. I believe each town hall is different and experiences can even be different depending on the person. I'd go and make enquiries and give it a go and the worst case scenario will be that you have to revisit with the paperwork/proof they ask for. Best case you get it there and then!

Community Member
(@woodbine)

Posted by: @luise

@woodbine I got my residency this week. They asked about income but didn't ask for any proof. I believe each town hall is different and experiences can even be different depending on the person. I'd go and make enquiries and give it a go and the worst case scenario will be that you have to revisit with the paperwork/proof they ask for. Best case you get it there and then!

Hi Luise, thanks for your reply. That's great that you can start your new life in Portugal.

Can I ask if you were applying for your residency as an EU citizen or third country? Also, did you need to speak Portugese or take a Portugese speaker to apply?

Premium Member
(@luise)

Trusted Member

@woodbine I'm from the UK so as an EU citizen. I don't speak a word of Portuguese. In the Loja de Cidadão they had a keyboard and screen set up to use google translate and in the parish office I used it on my phone. 

One time I had to call my landlady and pass over the phone to get her to explain something. It is handy to have someone if you get really stuck.

They have translators in the directory here. I think I'd use there services if I didn't have my landlady.  

Community Member
(@jersh)

@luise Hi Luise, thanks for this info. Did you need to provide a rental contract? I’m staying in a hotel at the moment and wondering if it’s possible to get residency before finding an apartment.

Premium Member
(@luise)

Trusted Member

@jersh I was renting a room and the landlady verified this at the local parish who then gave me a 'atestado de residencia'. 

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

I imagine they would, they just want to make sure you're not going to be reliant on state help. 

Community Member
Topic starter
(@woodbine)

Thanks, that's good news. I suppose logically, an income like a salary could stop at any moment if someone lost their job, but savings are less likely to disappear.

Some of my savings will eventually be used to buy somewhere to live, but the rest will help with other expenses. I'll take my bank and savings statements with me to the camara.

Page 1 / 2

UKTV Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you renew your membership.

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online