Exploring Portugal – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Exploring Portugal

Page 1 / 2

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@skye22)

My partner and I are Canadians coming to Portugal for the first time in October. We are hoping to extend our 90 day visitors visa and were informed by the Embassy in Ottawa that it is possible once we are on the ground by doing so at the SEF office.
We were considering starting our stay in Tavira on the Algarve and then going to Tomar for the balance of our stay. We were wondering if anyone had any ideas about accommodations in Tavira and whether that was a good location to begin our exploratory stay in Portugal.
We spent the past 8 years in Mexico and lived in Germany for 10 years in the 80`s so we have had some experience with being a foreigner in a new place.
Thanks!

5 Replies

VIP Member
(@snowbuddy)
Eminent Member

Hello Skye: I don't have any answers to your questions - but I would be very interested to hear how the Algarve compares to Mexico living. Probably very different, to be sure, but I am in the planning stages of a retirement move and Playa del Carmen and Algarve are on the short list. Sorry to hijack thread!

VIP Member
(@madeira)
Honorable Member

Hello Sky,

We started out much as you are - coming from Canada and renting for 3 'winter' months in self-catering accommodations (the British tourist way of saying renting a cottage :-) ) We stayed in Santo Estevão , just outside of Tavira. Loved the area and nearly ended up buying there, but fortunately the deal fell through.

I say fortunately because we were 'settling', thinking it was the farthest south we could get, that we were going to have to be content with needing some heat in the winter, and with prices close to the sea being outside our budget. Reminded us of Florida weather-wise but not culture-wise.

Long story short, we ended up in Madeira where we are happier than the proverbial pig. However, each to their own - just to say that I think the way you are going about this makes absolute sense - it is the plan that worked well for us.

I tried to look up the place we stayed on http://www.homeaway.co.uk/ with no luck, but there are lots of possibilities. Most people with short term rentals are happy to do long term, especially in the 'winter months'. Only need to email and ask.

Suggest you look for a 'cottage/bungalow' if there are just the two of you, because the bigger houses need more heat to be comfortable. Most houses are not really built for cooler times and usually do not have central heat (nor do they really need it).

And not to help you steal the thread snowbuddy, but we are all among Canadians here eh? Lots of our friends have bought in Mexico, because that is a natural for Canadians. They love their places, but bought thinking they would do 6 months there and 6 months in Canada (as we thought when we started out) and now find the summers are too hot to be bearable if they want to stay longer. They are mostly in Puerto Vallarta, and we go down to visit them every February - when the weather is lovely. Don't know how that compares to Playa del Carmen. We seriously considered Mexico, but even with being hyper careful, every time when we went I got food poisoning, so that finished that option for us. Our friends that live there all routinely go to get checked by the labs every 6 months - part of normal health routine for them. Cost of flights etc about the same, cost of living maybe a cheaper in Mexico. Again to each their own - our friends are very happy with their choices.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@skye22)

Thanks so much for responding. We`ll have to wing it when we get there to find a short term rental. We would love to see Madeira but we might focus on the mainland this time around. Again, thanks!

VIP Member
(@madeira)
Honorable Member

Just so there is no language confusion - and maybe there isn't - a short term rental here is considered a week, maybe two. A long term rental is about 2-3 months and up.

You may want to consider booking before you come, otherwise people who would have wanted to rent to you, are unable to because they have rented out 1 week in the middle of your 2-3 month period, and so have to turn you down.

Most of the rental sites have availability calendars, so you can look up how rentals are going. Here you would already have a tough time finding a 2-3 month rental, but the Algarve may be different.

Some people do not post their availability to try and avoid taxes - so if their calendar shows absolutely no bookings, that may not be reality. An email will give you a better picture :-)

Page 1 / 2

• Serenity Banner
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to our exclusive 12 module ‘Moving to Portugal’ video content
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online