Family Reunification? – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Family Reunification?  

Premium Member
(@bdgfn)
Eminent Member

I did a quick search and did not see anything relating to this subject. I just was informed that if my wife is unable to show sufficient income to qualify for a D7 visa that I would need to get a D7 visa for myself, and then once I have received my Portugal residency we would start the Family Reunification process for her. If I understood correctly, she would be able to accompany me to Portugal (from Germany) and stay with me until this process is complete. My question is, has anyone on here done this already (not necessarily from Germany of course), and if so, what was your experience? I read a post on another forum on a different FB group saying basically avoid this at all costs as it is a huge pain in the butt. Anyone have input one way or the other? We would like to be able for my wife to delay collecting her SS for another year or two as she would be able to collect a few hundred dollars more each month. Thanks in advance!

2 Replies

Community Member
(@peggyl)
Estimable Member

When I moved here, I had no income only assets in the US. I had been retired for over 10 years but my husband was still working in the US. I had not been using any of my retirement savings for living expenses. When I applied for my visa and residency I had to show proof that I could support myself, not that I actually had income myself. My name on the joint bank accounts in the US was enough to prove that I had access to all those funds and that was accepted as the ability to support myself. My husband retired a year later and joined me in Portugal. He lived here with me as he applied for his residency. We showed the same bank records with both our names on the joint accounts as proof that we could support ourselves. Updated to that current date of course. Hubby got his residency card that same day. Now so much is done via the internet, I am not sure if you initially apply online or still in person. Go to the www.sef.pt web site to ask questions via email.  Hope this helps

@peggyL

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

Eminent Member

@peggyl Hi Peggy, thank you for that information. I need to check our bank accounts to see if they are, in fact, in both of our names. I appreciate your feedback!

Sovereign Group Leaderboard

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online