Financial Independence – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Serenity Banner
  • spartan Fx

Financial Independence

Page 1 / 3

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@christopherdouglas)
Estimable Member

Hello all, Happy New Year.

Can anyone tell us what the amount is to quality for ' Financially Independent' as one of the choices available as a requirement for a Portuguese residency permit?

Have looked on the SEF site and its got all the forms to download, all the requirements, but no actual figures. Unless that's just me :?

Cheers,

Chris n Hellen

10 Replies

VIP Member
(@malanpeter)

SEF do not stipulate, so you are correct in that they do not give you a specific amount.
We are a retired couple and had €30,000 bank balance in our Portuguese Bank Account. We offered further Bank Statements from South Africa and told it was not necessary.
This was at SEF in Coimbra. I've also heard of others submitting a statement with €3000.

VIP Member
(@chas-linda)
Illustrious Member

There are figures hidden away in SEF site but they relate to Non EU visitors or Resident applications.

When you register at Camara who act as agents for SEF, when you sign there is a statement that says you are financially independent and would not be a burden to PT, in practice this very rarely even mentioned or proof asked for, just take a bank statement that shows some reasonable balance just in case, but don't volunteer it :)

VIP Member
(@teresa)
Reputable Member

I remember we took our bank statement with us when we went to SEF, but no-one asked to look at it.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@christopherdouglas)
Estimable Member

Thank you all,
That's the most straightforward, useful and pleasing answer we've ever been given :D
All I need now is to understand the meaning of life 8)
And no, it's not 42 !
Many thanks,
Chris

Page 1 / 3

• Serenity Banner
  • Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online