Financial Independence - Page 2 – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

Financial Independence

Page 2 / 3

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@christopherdouglas)
Estimable Member

Hello all, Happy New Year.

Can anyone tell us what the amount is to quality for ' Financially Independent' as one of the choices available as a requirement for a Portuguese residency permit?

Have looked on the SEF site and its got all the forms to download, all the requirements, but no actual figures. Unless that's just me :?

Cheers,

Chris n Hellen

10 Replies

VIP Member
(@philipmarieta)

There are figures hidden away in SEF site but they relate to Non EU visitors or Resident applications.

When you register at Camara who act as agents for SEF, when you sign there is a statement that says you are financially independent and would not be a burden to PT, in practice this very rarely even mentioned or proof asked for, just take a bank statement that shows some reasonable balance just in case, but don't volunteer it :)

Hi Chas and Linda

You guys are truly a fantastic source of info on this forum. Thank you!

As Non EU origin potential future residents, we had a similar question to what is considered Financial Independence. You mentioned that there are some figures hidden away in SEF site. I had a look, but could not make sense of the little I found. You wouldn't perhaps have a link to the info?

Much appreciated

Philip

VIP Member
(@chas-linda)
Illustrious Member

SEF have recently updated their site, before I could find the figures easily now like you I'm still searching, but they do relate very much to Non EU citizens visiting PT on a Visa or extended Visa, if you intend relocating and being Residents then the max that SEF can insist on is the min wage which is something like €400 pm pp

VIP Member
(@frenchie)
Trusted Member

just as an afterthought, what would you suggest is a reasonable amount needed to live on per month? 400 euros sounds scarily low compared to my UK outgoings.

Frenchie (aka Single person, 5 cats, no mortgage, still working out sums!)

VIP Member
(@chas-linda)
Illustrious Member

just as an afterthought, what would you suggest is a reasonable amount needed to live on per month? 400 euros sounds scarily low compared to my UK outgoings.

Frenchie (aka Single person, 5 cats, no mortgage, still working out sums!)

Depends on the lifestyle you want and exactly where you live in PT but just a couple of comparisons to ease you mind our rates are €205 py, water avg €9 pm, very comprehensive house insurance €181,90 py, internet/phone av €29.85 pm, fuuly comp car insurance €276.58 py

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

if you intend relocating and being Residents then the max that SEF can insist on is the min wage which is something like €400 pm pp

For the record, the minimum salary very recently rose from 485€ (which it had been frozen at for the previous 4 years) to 505€.

Also - just to make it absolutely clear for those non-EU posters, the perfectly correct statement from Chas re: "the max the SEF can insist on" applies only to EU citizens moving to Portugal, because it's Community law. The Portuguese authorities can make whatever laws they wish regarding non-EU nationals.

Page 2 / 3

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€37 / €347 Month / Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€17 / €97 Month / Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online