Glaucoma care – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

Glaucoma care

Community Member
Topic starter
(@fensiler1)

Hi. Just joined forum.

I've been granted Portuguese citizenship and am seriously considering relocating from UK. Continuing healthcare for my eyes is an important consideration however.

I have glaucoma which needs regular check ups. Does anyone have experience of Portuguese glaucoma care they would be willing to share.

Questions I have for example, is glaucoma care part of the Portuguese healthcare provision or would I need to take private healthcare insurance? 

Grateful for your time.

Thanks

8 Replies

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

Hi, and welcome to the forum from me.

Depending on where you intend to settle, you may find ophthalmology sevices in the public health system are not ideal. Long wait times for consultations and surgeries are not uncommon - I don't know precisely how things are overall at the moment but it's certainly been newsworthy in recent times, so bear that in mind.

With regard to private health insurance, that may present difficulties on account of your having a pre-existing condition, which you'd need to declare. I know very little about it other than that but I'd have thought if it were to be included in the cover it might turn out to be a bit hefty on the premiums. I think there's a forum member who is an insurance broker and may be able to elaborate or put me straight on that.

My wife has eye problems and it was recommended to her by our GP that she go private for ophthalmogy services if we could run to it, rather than rely on the SNS. The oftalmologist currently charges around 50€ for a consultation, which my wife has every 6 months. He diagnosed her with glaucoma a few years ago, which is well-controlled with medicines prescribed by him but which qualify for a substantial subsidy as long as you're enrolled in the public system.

The ophthalmologist also performs surgeries in private hospital facilities - those required by my wife have been paid for at the full private rate. The alternative would have been to go through the whole process of referral from GP to ophthalmology consultation in the public system and then to be put on a further wait list for the op, since private consultants can't refer direct for surgeries in the public system. The GP would, of course, have accepted his diagnosis without question but there's a protocol to be followed which doesn't allow for short cuts.

Hope this helps for starters.

3 Replies
Community Member
(@fensiler1)

@x-camone thanks for taking the time to reply.  Much appreciated.

Were you given any indication of the wait times to see an Opthalmologist & subsequent surgery wait time?

Thank you

VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

@fensiler1 Can't remember off the top of my head - it was a long while ago. We do have a very good GP, who is ardently pro public services in general and the health service in particular. She would never have advised us against our best interests and has only ever suggested using private practice in 2 specialities that are available on the SNS. We have always been grateful for advice received and absolutely certain that she has no axe whatsoever to grind when suggesting we look elsewhere.

I recall mention in the news at some point fairly recentlyof waits of up to 3 years for eye surgery in the SNS, although I would assume those would not be urgent cases.

Community Member
(@fensiler1)

@x-camone 

Yes. I did read something like that myself. Thanks for the replies.

• Kindest regards

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@pamalcobaca)
Estimable Member

I can't give any information about glaucoma treatment, but my husband recently had cataract operation on one eye in Leiria hospital in the public health system. He was referred by our family doctor (following an eye test during which the optician spotted the problem and send a note to the family doctor). The wait was about 6 months for a non urgent case and on having it done the consultant asked if he wanted adding to the waiting list for the other eye, even though it is not as bad (they predict it will need it eventually), so he is now on the list again and we expect that to be 6 months again. The care in Leiria hospital has been excellent.

1 Reply
Community Member
(@fensiler1)

@pamalcobaca thanks so much for this.

This is very reassuring to know. Thanks again.

VIP Member
(@hartmill)
Estimable Member

You can check the average waiting times at hospitals throughout the country here.

http://tempos.min-saude.pt/#/instituicoes

1 Reply
Community Member
(@fensiler1)

@hartmill brilliant thanks

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online