Golden Visa changes - rural only? – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Wow Wines Banner

Golden Visa changes - rural only?

Admin
Topic starter
(@astridff)

My husband works for a large real estate company here in Portugal and told me on Friday of changes to the "Golden Visa" scheme. For people wanting to enter Portugal on this scheme now, it is only eligible on the purchase of property in "rural" areas. Has anyone else heard about this? 

6 Replies

Admin
Topic starter
(@astridff)

Here is an article confirming the change in the Golden Visa program. Interested to see what is going to happen next.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/news/portugal-ends-golden-visas-in-lisbon-and-porto/

VIP Member
(@eric-ok-mate)
Estimable Member

Are there specific / nominated estate agents that deal in Golden Visa's ... and if so - where is the list? Also - has anyone here had experience of selling to a Golden Visa? 

Premium Member
(@ridgerunners732)
Eminent Member

We're new to the site. I am assuming (help me out here) that 'RURAL' means outside any city or sizeable town limits, with Porto and Lsbon, proper, being totally excluded. Is there any map delineating how far from the and Porto/Lisbon city limits is Golden Visa viable?  Thanks, anyone! Janet & Amos

1 Reply
Admin
(@astridff)

@ridgerunners732 the different tiers of Golden Visa and purchase requirements are:

€280,000 – This level of investment is available only for properties in low population density areas;
€350,000 – At this level of investment, you can purchase Real Estate located in urban areas, but only properties constructed more than 30 years ago and in need of refurbishment. The sum for property and reconstruction must reach the 350k minimum investment.
€500,000 – All types of Real Estate investments available

As far as "maps", I haven't seen anything like that and would gather working with a good real estate agent or a company like Enjoy-Portugal.com would be a great place to start.

Milu
Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@casadassetemarias76gmail-com)

My husband is in the application process of a Golden Visa, and he opted for the 350k route.  The properties are in Tomar and one is in the rural area (Casais), the other is in the historic zone.  They qualify as they are designated as areas of rehabitalization (not sure of the exact word).   Lisbon and Porto, as well as many other cities, are already saturated but lots of smaller and medium-sized city properties still qualify, and it's easy to get that designation from the local city hall.   We are going through the process with the help of a lawyer, and it's not easy but we have our fingers crossed that we'll be successful.

1 Reply
Admin
(@astridff)

@milu thanks for your input. Very helpful and good luck.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online