Google Voice – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

Google Voice

Page 1 / 2

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@dolce)
Eminent Member

Hello,   I will be moving to Lisbon in the next couple of months and looking to keep my US phone number.  I tried to use google voice but when I type in my number, it says the number is not available.  Am I doing this wrong?  Is there a better way to keep my US number?  I was told by T mobile(my current service provider) that once I am out of the country for a certain period of time, they will shut down my service.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

8 Replies

Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)
Reputable Member

You have a google voice number? Did you port your cell number to google voice per these instructions? Port your Google Voice number - Google Voice Help  I am using Google Voice but with a number I selected 12 years ago when they debuted. 

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@dolce)
Eminent Member

This is helpful. I didn't realize I had to pick a google voice number first.  Thank you!   Can I keep my US number forever through google voice?  

1 Reply
Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)

Reputable Member

@ritachung2012gmail-com Yes

Premium Member
(@kellyd)

@Dolce, this is a late reply but you might want to check out this youtube video:

How to Keep your US phone number when you move to another country.

He explains how to port your number to Google Voice, emphasizing to do the actual porting at the last few hours before you leave the US. Otherwise your carrier will end your plan when you port your US number away from them. Lots of other good (and sometimes confusing information). And be aware that the porting must be initiated from the US. I started the porting process in the US but it wasn't working. Finally got it straightened out here in Portugal. The porting successfully completed here, but only because I had initiated it in the US.

I followed his plan (from the video) and now am able to make calls and texts to the US through Google Voice and my number is preserved through Google Voice. I'm not enough of a techie to understand it all, but I managed to get it to work.

Another youtube video that was helpful to me was How to port your number to Google Voice

Community Member
(@dally)

After you port your number it is really important to use it for OUTBOUND and/or OUTBOUND sms a couple times a month.  If you only rely on inbound forwarding for authentication codes etc. and you are not paying attention you may lose your number. It does happen and you may never get it back.  It is also important to test your OTP (one time password) codes such as baking, appleID, FB.  Many services block or do not support virtual cell numbers.  

If you are on iPhone your contacts that have a green message bubble will not cross over to iMessage.  They will be in your google voice/gmail.  A little more clunky to communicate. whatsApp should function normally I think.  I do not use whatApp. 

2 Replies
Premium Plus member
(@jonesdn2020)

Reputable Member

@dally We experienced an issue that some banks or providers in the US are using outdated SMS functionality. They want you to pick your cell carrier if you try to update the number in their site. We were able to get around this by calling customer support and having them enter our Google Voice number as our account phone number. We also use Authy with our Google voice number.

Community Member
(@dally)

@jonesdn2020 Brilliant plan with Authy!!!  A must for all expats whenever supported.

Page 1 / 2

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online