How easy is it to sell an American-made car in Portugal? – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Live and Invest Portugal

How easy is it to sell an American-made car in Portugal?  

Premium Member
(@bdgfn)
Eminent Member

Hi all. We are thinking that when we move from Germany to Portugal that we will drive. It appears to be a 3-day drive through France and Spain according to Google maps. We currently have two cars, an American Chevrolet SUV and a European-spec Toyota Yarus. We are thinking the Yarus would be best there, but it is very small and we would not be able to bring much luggage with us. So we are considering possibly driving both vehicles there then selling the American SUV once we arrive. How easy or difficult would it be to sell that vehicle once it is registered? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4 Replies

Admin
(@gerry)
Reputable Member

Hello @bdgfn

I cannot answer your specific question but it might be worth looking through the below site to see if you can find comparable vehicles for sale in Portugal. Hope this is helpful.

https://www.standvirtual.com/

Regards

Gerry

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

Eminent Member

@gerry Thank you, Gerry. I took a quick look and did not see anything resembling my vehicle but I will look further. Much appreciated!

VIP Member
(@old-bloke)
Noble Member

If you sell a non Portuguese registered car in Portugal you are classed as having imported it.  If you get caught out doing so you would be liable for the iSV that would have been due (a lot of Euros) on importing a car.

If your 2 cars are not registered to the same person, and you and your wife/husband have owned them for more than 6 months in Germany you could import both to Portugal using the ISV exemption applicable to new residents. If you do that you can't sell them within a year or you would have to pay the ISV that would have been due, but after that year is up you'd make a very healthy profit.

Failing that, the only legal option is to drive it back to Germany and sell it.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@bdgfn)

Eminent Member

@old-bloke Thank you, that is very helpful information indeed!

Live and Invest Portugal

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online