How to move our belongings from UK to Portugal? – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

EI Banner

How to move our belongings from UK to Portugal?

Community Member
Topic starter
(@dafnii)

Hello all, 

We thought of reaching out as we are planing to move to Porto at the end of this year and we are a bit baffled with all the new regulations that apply to the UK after Brexit. After having decided to get rid of all our plants we are now trying to figure out how to move the rest of our belongings.

Recently I found the following…..

When moving from a non-EU country, once you move to Portugal, you have 365 days to move your belongings to Portugal tax free, and the Portuguese Consulate will provide you with a baggage certificate and other documents to send with your goods so it doesn’t get held up in customs. 

Unfortunately, you can’t ship (tax-free at least) until you have your Atestado do Residençia, a document issued by your local Câmara which states you are entitled to live in Portugal, and a Portuguese address. 

http://www.portugalemlondres.org/uploads/3/9/1/9/39196087/baggage_certificate.pdf

Baggage Certificate 

It is mandatory to send all requested documentation 

• Completed request for the issue of a Baggage cerificate  
  • List of personal belongings to be transported and imported into Portugal 
  • Proof of residence in the UK for more than 1 year (e.g. payslips, GP registration, bills of water/electricity/gas) 
  • Proof of cancellation of residence in the UK (e.g. cancelling GP registration, closing accounts for water/electricity/gas) 
  • Declaration on the establishment and cancellation of residence in the UK and transfer of residence to Portugal 
  • Declaration that the personal belongings to be transported and imported to Portugal were acquired more than 6 months prior to the date of cancellation of the UK residence, were used at that residence and are intended to be used at the new habitual residence in Portugal 
  • Copy of ID Card/Passport
  • Copy of the residence permit in Portugal (in the case of foreign nationals) 
  • International Cheque in Pounds (if the certificate is to be sent to a Portuguese address) or Postal Order (if the certificate is to be sent to a UK address) 

Questions:

-Do we need to set everything up (address, NIF, above certificate) before we even transport anything to Portugal? 

-"Tax free for 365 days" - does it mean I can take my personal whisky collection with this certificate?

-What needs to go on the list of personal belongings? Do we need to make a list of literally everything we own or just the more valuable items?

-We also have a little collection of homemade liquors, medicinal tinctures, for personal use, would that be possible to be transported with this document?

-What would be efficient as proof of cancellation of residence in the UK, does a 

closing account from Thames water and our electric/gas supplier is efficient? 

-We are European citizen (German, Polish/Greek) so I take it we do not need to  

show a residence permit? 

We do not have much in terms of valuables, we didn’t buy anything in the last 6 months, our computers, tv, radio, bicycles, speakers are all more than 3 years old. No car, no plants, no pets. It’s basically just the alcohol which could make trouble. 

As Brexit is so recent it seems all the information we have found is vague and not very helpful.

We would much appreciate if anyone could give some advice, anyone who knows something about the above, whether from personal experience or simply suggest some links where we could read more about it. 

Thanks a lot!

Natali and Oliver   

3 Replies

VIP Member
(@x-camone)
Noble Member

Hi - and welcome to the forum from me.

I can give you one pointer out of all of the above.

Portuguese decree law 31/89 (which I can't right now find in an English version) specifically excludes alcohol from personal possessions exemption from duty when transferring residence from a non EU country.

Decreto-Lei n.º 31/89 - (Article 5a being the specific text on that matter)

Community Member
Topic starter
(@dafnii)

Dear x-camone, thank you for the response! Every little helps! 😀

Does this mean that we cannot transfer alcohol at all or that we could do it if we pay the tax duty? If so, where can I find information about the charges?

1 Reply
VIP Member
(@x-camone)

Noble Member

@dafnii I can't add anything more for definite, I'm afraid.

I imagine it must be possible to get it in since it's not a banned substance or anything but quite how you go about it as a private individual, what documentation you might need and what charges apply I can't help with.

Perhaps a customs agent in Portugal might be able to handle an enquiry?

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47 with a 50% discount every year you continue to renew your membership. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online