I miss giffgaff – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx
  • Serenity Banner

I miss giffgaff

Community Member
Topic starter
(@christiaan)
Eminent Member

What mobile phone companies do you guys use in Portugal? I went with Vodafone when I moved here but they've turned out to be robbers. 

It’s been 5 months since they took €45 from my UK Mastercard (not MB Way) and didn’t credit it to my phone account because of a glitch. After providing them with every single detail my UK bank could provide on the transactions they kept telling me to wait while they “analyse” the situation and now they’ve stopped responding to my messages.

They also keep taking €2 from my account to give me an extra 100 MB when my monthly tariff runs out and I can’t find how to turn this option off!

<sigh> It's a bit hard to swallow having come from what is probably the best mobile company in the world (giffgaff).

Are there any MVNOs in Portugal providing even half the service Giffgaff provides?

3 Replies

Community Member
Topic starter
(@christiaan)
Eminent Member

I just found this:

www.telecomtv.com/content/spectrum/portugal-saves-spectrum-for-newcomer-in-5g-sale-and-theres-one-obvious-candidate-37651/

telecoms.com/508233/masmovil-wins-portugal-newcomer-spectrum/

So I'm thinking, great, I'm moving to Nowo (a Masmovil MVNO)...

But then I just came across this rumour about a merger between Vodafone and Masmovil, which would put competition in Portugal back to square one 🙄 

www.commsupdate.com/articles/2021/02/05/masmovil-vodafone-tie-up-to-include-portugal-and-spain-report-says/

Community Member
Topic starter
(@christiaan)
Eminent Member

More here:

www.commsupdate.com/articles/2021/03/23/altice-asks-anacom-to-suspend-5g-auction-until-vodafone-masmovil-merger-rumours-investigated/

Community Member
Topic starter
(@christiaan)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @thomasandmatthew

In service terms - speaking from personal experience, and what others have told me, too - you'll get much further on most things by going into a company-owned store

Great advice, thanks!

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Serenity Banner
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step, “move to Portugal” online course hosted by Carl Munson.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

• Full access to our community Forum
  • Gain access to exclusive content with our ‘exclusive 12 module online migration course’
  • Guaranteed entry to our interactive webinars
  • Unlock hundreds of €’s in savings and freebies from our partners
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see our partners)
  • Receive community support
  • Email support from Expats Portugal team
  • And last but not least, help us grow this website and community
Join Today€97 per year

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online