I miss giffgaff – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

I miss giffgaff

4 Posts
1 Users
4 Likes
Community Member
Topic starter
(@christiaan)

What mobile phone companies do you guys use in Portugal? I went with Vodafone when I moved here but they've turned out to be robbers. 

It’s been 5 months since they took €45 from my UK Mastercard (not MB Way) and didn’t credit it to my phone account because of a glitch. After providing them with every single detail my UK bank could provide on the transactions they kept telling me to wait while they “analyse” the situation and now they’ve stopped responding to my messages.

They also keep taking €2 from my account to give me an extra 100 MB when my monthly tariff runs out and I can’t find how to turn this option off!

<sigh> It's a bit hard to swallow having come from what is probably the best mobile company in the world (giffgaff).

Are there any MVNOs in Portugal providing even half the service Giffgaff provides?

3 Replies
Community Member
Topic starter
(@christiaan)

I just found this:

www.telecomtv.com/content/spectrum/portugal-saves-spectrum-for-newcomer-in-5g-sale-and-theres-one-obvious-candidate-37651/

telecoms.com/508233/masmovil-wins-portugal-newcomer-spectrum/

So I'm thinking, great, I'm moving to Nowo (a Masmovil MVNO)...

But then I just came across this rumour about a merger between Vodafone and Masmovil, which would put competition in Portugal back to square one 🙄 

www.commsupdate.com/articles/2021/02/05/masmovil-vodafone-tie-up-to-include-portugal-and-spain-report-says/

Community Member
Topic starter
(@christiaan)

More here:

www.commsupdate.com/articles/2021/03/23/altice-asks-anacom-to-suspend-5g-auction-until-vodafone-masmovil-merger-rumours-investigated/

Community Member
Topic starter
(@christiaan)
Posted by: @thomasandmatthew

In service terms - speaking from personal experience, and what others have told me, too - you'll get much further on most things by going into a company-owned store

Great advice, thanks!

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal