I want to move to Portugal (but worried about Brexit) - Page 2 – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either log in or register to join in the conversation.

If you are a forum member from the old site and have not reset your password yet, please click on "Lost your password?" on the login page.

I want to move to Portugal (but worried about Brexit)  

Page 2 / 3

Premium Member
(@thr238)

Hi all.

So I’ve thinking about moving to Portugal for some time now, having been there before and liking the culture. I’m from Britain originally but left years ago, and I’m very aware time is ticking with Brexit. Thing is, I don’t know anyone in Portugal and I read in order to stay I will need a residence permit or visa. I’m coming to Portugal in August (no chance to come earlier) to try and figure out what to do but I am very worried about where to start and if I can even achieve my goals.

I know you can only stay in Portugal on a 90-day tourist visa - so if I’m wanting to stay longer, how can I? I read somewhere if you wanted to stay longer you had to apply for something (temporary visa?) in the first 30 days. But I also read that come Dec. 31. 2020, only those with residence permits can stay, which only creates even more worry.

I just wanted to know if anyone here had any information on what to do for someone in my position, what he could look for and do to better his situation. Any advice, would be really great.

I’m self employed, by the way, so I couldn’t even move by way of a company.

Thank you for your help.

Tom

21 Replies
VIP Member
(@stevej)
Noble Member

Hi Tom and Klanger,

You both indicate that you are UK citizens, so it should be straightforward. Take a look at the UK Government's Living in Portugal pages, especially the section on Visas and Residency. As long as you have your initial (5-year) residency certificate you will be able to stay in Portugal after the end of the year.

The "Proof of Address" they need is usually an Atestado obtained from your local Parish (Freguesia) offices - and they will need something like a rental contract to show where you live. The proof of earnings thing is a bit fuzzy - I believe some Câmaras ask for it, others don't. Ours didn't when we went through the process 2 years ago.

Steve

1 Reply
Community Member
(@klanger)

@stevej Hello Steve, Thank you for your reply, good positive tips. Looking at the UK gov pages right now. Seems like I must get over there as soon as I can,  find a small place to rent and get the residency certificate - quick! Thanks for your help.

VIP Member
(@hannahjordan)

Hi Tom and Klanger!  We're also moving over to secure our residency this side of the 31st December deadline.   We are moving to Mertola in the Alentejo region. I'll let you know what we find out as we go and share any info with you on here.  I'm sure we'll all manage it!  Can't wait! Hannah : )

Premium Member
(@thr238)

Thank you Robert. Yeah, fingers crossed.

Premium Member
(@thr238)

Hi Gerry

Thank you for your welcome and for your reply. I appreciate it. I will make contact with this company.

As for where I’d like to live, I’ll have to do some research so will come back to you on that.

Thanks for your encouragement too. It’s nice to just air my worries, it’s been really stressful, the whole Brexit thing of course but also what countries are planning in response.

Tom

Premium Member
(@thr238)

Hi Steve and Hannah

Thanks Steve, for breaking things down. Good to know what is what.

Thank you Hannah, and good luck with your move.

Tom

Page 2 / 3

Blevins Franks Ad

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

• Receive exclusive member benefits from our partners: view current offers
      • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars
      • Join any Group within our Online Community
      • Include your local events in our events calendar
      • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
I WANT TO BE A PREMIUM MEMBEROnly €25 per year
Share:

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online