Internet in Estremadura (Leiria - Tomar) – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• Wow Wines Banner
  • spartan Fx

Internet in Estremadura (Leiria - Tomar)

Page 1 / 2

Community Member
Topic starter
(@bobble)

Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or comments on what's the standard of internet speeds and reliability around cities such as Leiria and Tomar?

We are looking for a property in this area and wondered what standard of broadband we might expect.

From the research I've already done it seems that both cities have decent infrastructure but I'm wondering how far that stretches out into the surrounding areas. Ideally we are looking for a property on the edge of town or a little further out.

Any experience would be gratefully received as would any recommendations for internet providers.

Thanks a lot! Hopefully this is posted in the correct forum.

Topic Tags
10 Replies

Ask Our Expats Consultant
(@thomasribatejo)

Hi there

Details follow, but broadly speaking, the picture is positive if you're in any kind of settlement, one way or another - but experiences vary hugely, partly based on networks (and people often don't like to shop around, so can get locked in...=

Firstly - for clarity, because terminology can be different - there are two main options:

1 - Broadband, generally referred to here as fibra, redes de alta velocidade, ADSL

You can check pretty accurate details of coverage, using a property's postcode, on the sites of the three providers, Vodafone, MEO and NOS (NOWO exists in some areas, too).  They may need you to put in a phone number, which is a little annoying...  There is also this map, which shows the main hubs:

https://www.kredito.pt/blog/mapa-de-cobertura-de-fibra-2021/

and it seems broadly right.

In simple terms, fibre broadband tends to cover the centres of communities, and may not cover outlying villages, suburbs, and almost certaintly won't touch remote properties.  Whilst some people moan about being prepared to pay €xx per month, the costs of expanding coverage are not justifiable by the income from 1 or 2 people, so the rapid expansion is likely still to focus on cities, towns and villages, not remote settlements.

Where you do have fibre, speeds are mostly dictated by the package you choose, which will itself vary by coverage.  We've found, for example, that Vodafone is very consistent in providing what it says, starting at 100 Mbps and going up to 1 Gbps and beyond

However, the next bit may help.

2 - Mobile data, often unhelpfully called "banda larga", accessed using hotspots

This is the usual solution here, if you're not on broadband.  Some rural communities have excellent data coverage (note that this is not always the same as mobile coverage, you can have better data than voice...) with speeds in excess of 30 Mbps which is great for Netflix, home working (even for companies with special software), etc.

Your friend for this is here:

https://anacom.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=ad3f71dbb09541518f436aa828feb28e

It's maintained by the Communications Regulator, and its traffic light system is helpful.  It's helped people we know, as you can pretty much tell exactly where is good, bad or indifferent.

Vodafone has just recently started doing a €15 for 15 days for unlimited data on their Hotspot (which costs around €45-50, sometimes with some data/days thrown in).  If you have a good signal, this is very competitive.

Community Member
Topic starter
(@bobble)

Oh this is fantastic! Thank you so much for the information.

The map showing data coverage in particular is really helpful.

My main worry was that the towns and cities might well have fibre but then outside of them there would be sparse data coverage. That doesn't look to be the case around Leiria & Tomar.

Thanks again

(@pamalcobaca)

I live in Alcobaça which is a similar sized town to Tomar and we have good fibre optic internet (over 100mbps) with Nos. However I live in the actual town ans know people who live in the surrounding villages who have mixed coverage. If you're planning to live in a village I'd ask the neighbours there to get a better idea.

Community Member
Topic starter
(@bobble)

Thank you Pam. Thats interesting to know. Its starting to become clear that fibre only exists in towns/cities and outside of them its going to be more likely 4G data, Vodaphone in particular seem to have decent data coverage almost the entire way from Leiria to Tomar and beyond.

Its potentially going to be a bit of a gamble when we are renting almost blind for the first year but hopefully we can get enough information about the internet access in the area before we commit to renting.

Thanks again!

2 Replies
(@pamalcobaca)

@bobble I wouldn't say it doesn't exist outside of towns, just that you would need to check for the village you want to live in. Some have it, some don't

Community Member
(@bobble)

@pamalcobaca ah ok. Thats good to know.

Page 1 / 2

• Sovereign Group Leaderboard
  • Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for access to the forum and social meet-ups.

NEW Premium Plus

All the benefits of Premium Membership

PLUS unlock the Expats Portugal Plan, our comprehensive, interactive, step by step move to Portugal online course hosted by Carl Munson. Join today and save €100.

JOIN TODAY

Premium

The first year’s donation is only €47. By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks.

Less than €4 per monthJoin Today

Copyright © 2021 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online