Jobs in PT/Move US job to PT – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Explorations Africa Banner Ad

Jobs in PT/Move US job to PT  

Riri
Community Member
(@riri)

Hello everyone - how many of you:

- retired to PT?

- work a job at a PT company?

- work at a job in a US company remotely while living in PT? or

- work your own business while living in PT?

My husband and I would like to work for US companies remotely while living in PT. We have heard you can do this. I'm wondering how difficult it is to make this happen. Have any of you done it? Was there push-back from your job? Did your company have to do anything special for you to move to PT?

I'm thinking everything would stay the same except my address. Wouldn't I just keep doing what I'm going for them, they put my income in my US bank account, I pay US taxes and I wire money I want to spend to my PT bank account?

I think I would not have to pay PT taxes on US income right? I would only need to pay PT taxes on PT income (and maybe also pay US taxes on PT income?)

I'm mainly trying to decide how likely it is that I can move my current job to PT. I already work remotely from home, completely autonomous. We have a virtual meeting about once a month. I haven't seen my coworkers in person for 8 months. Everyone seems fine with this.

I have worked for this company for 6 years, I have learned and grown and proven myself. I have become a pretty indispensable part of the team.

The only difficulty would be the time difference. It's 5 hours later in PT than it is here. But that's workable because I barely have to take calls. Most of the time I'm calling people back on my own time. Ex. if my coworkers start work at 8am here, it would be 1pm my time and I'd have plenty of time to address anything I needed to address with them, make calls, etc. before the end of my work day which could be 5 or 6pm.

I feel like moving my job to PT would be easier than getting a job at a PT company (at least at first) and I don't want to run my own business or retire.

What do y'all think? 😀 

6 Replies

Premium Member
(@awarrenlove)

My fiance and I are working with Ei! to move to Portugal next year, so I can describe what I've learned so far. I haven't actually moved yet nor have I actually applied, so it's worth getting confirmation of anything I say, but hopefully it's useful information anyway.

We just got confirmation from the consulate that we could qualify for the D2 visa with income from our remote US positions to meet the requirements. They only asked that we get a statement from our companies that they will allow us to continue working from Portugal and that we will deposit at least part of our paychecks (enough to cover the minimum amount for the visa) directly into a Portuguese account. I haven't fully worked those details out with my company, so I can't yet help with what that will look like exactly, but they have given me verbal confirmation I could work from Portugal as long as I have some overlap with working hours here.

We were originally going to do the D7, but that is meant to work against savings and retirement income so we would have had to deposit about $10,000 into a Portuguese account. While we could have done that, qualifying based on income only rather than having to deposit money into a foreign account before we even get the visa to move sounded like a better option for us.

You will likely pay taxes on all income, foreign or not, but if you are on NHR that tax is very low. In addition, there is a tax agreement between the US and Portugal so taxes you pay in the US are deductible on Portugal taxes, so at the end you likely won't actually owe anything in Portugal on NHR.

Unlike almost every other country in the world, the US taxes all income on its citizens, even if they don't reside in the US. I get the reasoning behind this (to avoid hiding income in foreign locations), but it does make things more work. So yes, you will have to file taxes on all income in both countries, but like I said you won't be double taxed so while it's annoying it won't cost any extra in taxes.

As we continue through this process, I'll keep you updated on any new info we learn.

3 Replies
Premium Member
(@awarrenlove)

There are previous recordings of D2 visa and NHR webinars, so I also strongly recommend you watch those, and if the D2 visa approach sounds good to you there is also one coming up for that as well. You can find that under the events section.

Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

@awarrenlove

Thanks for the great info.

I am retired and will apply for a D7 as soon as possible.

My son is moving with me and has a job he can work remotely.

Should he go with the D2  instead of D7?

Premium Member
(@awarrenlove)

@longhornlady Ultimately that's up to you, but the main differentiator between the two is the way you prove you will support yourself financially in Portugal. For the D7, the expectation is we would deposit a good amount up front to make it obvious we would be able to support ourselves on our passive finances. For the D2, we are able to show our income from our company along with the agreement we will be putting a significant portion of that directly into a Portuguese account. Because we currently live primarily on normal income and don't have a lot of savings yet (being pretty young), transferring a lot of money over up front while we were still living day-to-day in the US was not the best option for us.

Premium Member
(@longhornlady)

Do I have to mail in my passport with my D7 application?

I am still waiting for it to be renewed by US State Dept. Website says 2-4 more weeks. 

I would like to get the process going.

1 Reply
Premium Member
(@awarrenlove)

@longhornlady I'm almost certain you wait until approval to mail your passport. Once approved, they will instruct you to mail your passport to get the visa added.

Live and Invest Portugal

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Free

Sign me up as a Community Member today for limited access to the forum and meet-ups.

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, you will unlock some great privileges, freebies and perks:

• Receive over €300+ worth of exclusive member benefits from our partners (view current member perks and benefits)
  • Priority access to our Zoom meet-ups and webinars (visit our What’s On Calendar for our next online events)
  • Browse the forum with no advertising (only see or partners)
  • Get 10% discount off Business Directory advertising
  • Get 10% discount off Ask Our Expats services
  • Buy and sell items in our Classifieds forum
  • And last but not least, shout Astrid, Gerry & Carl a beer on Friday 🙂
Join TodayOnly €25 per year

Copyright © 2020 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online