Looking for a furnished long term rental – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Looking for a furni...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

Looking for a furnished long term rental

25 Posts
6 Users
28 Likes
Premium Member
Topic starter
(@lissa)

We're new to the forum and hope to rent a furnished property for a year. We're thinking somewhere within 30 minutes of Lisbon. How difficult is it to find such a property?

24 Replies

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

Hi @lissa welcome to the forum.

It shouldn't be difficult, but that will depend on location, size and type of property (single house or apartment) and how much want you pay for rent.

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)
Illustrious Member

Hi Melissa and welcome to the forums! 

We are in central Lisbon. Are you going to have a car? Any particular area you are interested in? 

Premium Member
Topic starter
(@lissa)

Thanks for your prompt replies Antonio_f and JonesDN2020.

We like both Lisbon and/or Porto areas. It seems those areas would have good public transportation and amenities close by like grocery stores, parks, airports and restaurants. We'd be in the market for at least a quiet, 2 bedroom accommodation with central heating. We could manage 2k or less for an apartment or house. We'd like to not have to manage with a car if possible.

21 Replies
Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@lissa 

You have described our T2 in central Lisbon except we also have A/C. 

Premium Member
(@ericj)

@lissa I will be looking for something very similar in Lisbon next year.  Good luck in your search.

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@ericj We posted pictures of our apartment here. That way people can actually see real photos versus some of the listings on the realty sites.

Premium Member
(@lissa)

@jonesdn2020 That was so very kind of you to share your home and pics with us. I have a few questions. How many square feet is your apartment. Did y'all rent it furnished? How many properties did you have to see before choosing? You're in Central Lisbon. Is it quiet there? Sleeping is very important to us! 😊 I was also wondering if it's possible to find a king sized bed over there. In our experience most European places have doubles or full sized- matrimonial beds. It's a crazy American type question.

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@lissa

We have roughly 55 sq meters of living and 10 on the balcony. Yes, it was furnished in the sense of furniture. The apartment was lacking the essentials for living day to day and we have purchased those.

We are in a very quiet area in Central Lisbon but less than a block from major noise areas. That is how it works here. Then you have the neighbors and have to get lucky.

Yes, they do sell king sized beds. I doubt you would find one in a furnished apartment.

Premium Member
(@lissa)

@jonesdn2020 Well, two twins pushed together will work 😊  Gotta love a balcony. Yes, with neighbors always a crap shoot. I hope yours are well behaved. I am an animal lover and volunteer at shelters here in Asheville, but barking dogs are another deal breaker. 

We had considered Cascais. Know anything about that area?

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

@lissa Cascais is a vila (small town), but as expensive as Lisbon, in house prices terms. In terms of public transports there are buses and trains, but the most used one is the train linking to Lisbon.

Premium Member
(@lissa)

@antonio_f Appreciate the insight!

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@lissa 

We had to familiarize ourselves with the bed sizes here. This link is good for that. We sleep on a 140 cm x 200 cm bed and are fine with it. When we go to some hotels they try and push two 90 cm x 200 cm beds together and we do not sleep well with the crack in the middle.

Yes, we love our balcony, and they are hard to find. Most apartments have expanded by enclosing the balcony and it doesn't work for us.

Not only are neighbors a crap shoot but short-term rentals can have a huge impact. 

Dogs are another crap shoot for one day there are none in the building and then someone gets one. 

We have been to Cascais, and it was nice to visit but we are happy to live in Lisbon.

We have a friend living there and she called us yesterday to complain about all the construction where she was in Cascais. Seemed the tar smell from road construction was permeating her area. 

Premium Member
(@lissa)

@jonesdn2020 Thanks for the link on bed sizes. Will check it. Gosh! It seems to be the same everywhere with neighbors. I hope you have good, respectful ones.

How long have you been in central Lisbon? Was the area your first choice? Had you considered other areas? Do you think you both will stay in your current apartment or move to another?

As for short term rentals, I guess you'd say that's what we are trying to do with staying one year. We're in a difficult spot since we aren't prepared to move fully to Portugal, but want to live there for a year to see if it's a good fit. I have heard some folks who choose not to get a visa,  and stay more than 90 days cross the border for a few days and then re-enter. Is that true?

Ahhhhh ..... construction woes. I honestly hadn't considered that issue. I bet there's a lot of it going on in Portugal since it's such a popular spot. My husband liked the Cascais area so he could be close to all Lisbon has to offer. I'm more interested in Coimbra. But then, college students like to party! 😊 Lots to consider before a move. 

Thanks again for all your helpful information and prompt replies.

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@lissa Our neighbors are OK. We have been her for 8 months now. 

We started our search in Saldanha and Arroios. We are now on the border of Arroios and Penha de Franca. We absolutely love this area and this apartment. We will be staying for the foreseeable future.

No, you cannot overstay your visa and it takes 90 days to reset for the Schengen zone. You can extend your 90 days for another 90 days in Portugal exclusively.

There is a lot to consider, and that is why Lisbon is a great place to use as a hub to explore the country. We keep exploring by bus and train but every time we get back to Lisbon, we feel like it is home.

Premium Member
(@blaze451)

@jonesdn2020 agreed on the balcony, I will miss it the most and the view from it when I move. (Some pics in my profile) A balcony and air con will be in my top 5 requirements when next flat hunting.

Admin
(@jonesdn2020)

Illustrious Member

@blaze451 That is a gorgeous balcony. So much space and a view of the water.

Premium Member
(@blaze451)

@jonesdn2020 yep, it pretty much sold me on the apartment, it will be difficult to match elsewhere. Currently not spending as much time out on it as I would like due to the intense heat down here the last few months. Should be able to spend a lot longer out on it in the shoulder months though.

Premium Member
(@lissa)

@blaze451 Wow! I can't imagine why you would leave that view! It's gorgeous!

Community Member
(@johnnycocktail)

@lissa Is that Asheville, NC?

Premium Member
(@lissa)

@johnnycocktail Bless your heart. How did you guess? 😊 

Community Member
(@johnnycocktail)

@lissa My son lives in Mount Holly, is a frequent visitor to Asheville. My wife has been there while visiting him. My first trip there will be when we are in Mount Holly for Christmas this year.

Premium Member
(@lissa)

@johnnycocktail If we can help in any way while you're here in December, just give us a holler.

Community Member
(@johnnycocktail)

@lissa That is very kind of you. We will be in Mount Holly 12/21-30 and I believe this time includes a trip to Asheville. Maybe we will have a chance to say hello then. Other travel news - tomorrow we arrive in Portugal!

Community Member
(@antonio_f)

@johnnycocktail Welcome, and I hope you'll bring some rain gear.

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year

Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Full access to community Forum
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal" guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Plus

• We are no longer taking applicants for this program
  • Look out for new features on our new site coming soon

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal