Moving to Portugal - Just the start. – Moving to Portugal – Expats Portugal Community Forum
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Please feel free to view our Forum, but you must either LOGIN or REGISTER to join in the conversation.

• spartan Fx

Moving to Portugal - Just the start.

VIP Member
Topic starter
(@celtican)

Sat here in ireland with the rain bucketing down, wondering if I'me doing the right thing by planning to move to Portugal ? YOU BET !

In my 50's , kids are away so we have the freedom at last.Already booked a short break to Lisbon just to get the feel of Portugal again and I can't wait.

So yes, I know its not going to be straightforward, it never is but this is a great opportunity to live the dream and get some sun on our backs so why the hell not !

We have been a few times to the Algarve mainly Tavira which was ok'ish so now we will look a bit further and do some hands on research. Two area's that I like the look of is SILVAS and MONCHIQUE. They seem like a good area as we prefer country type views as opposed to sea views yet you are still within a reasonable distance to the coast. So has anybody any experience of living in these two towns please ?

Like 90% of expats we don't speak the language but are willing to learn or at least have a go.

We are looking at all areas of Portugal and have a free hand, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Mike (celtican)

1 Reply

VIP Member
(@itsmeagain)
Noble Member

I live in Lagos, not far away from Silves and Monchique but on the coast. The two towns are both very nice but also different.
Monchique is in the mountains (small by alpine standards but a couple of degrees cooler). You will need to learn portuguese pretty quickly.
Silves is next to a river; an old town with a castle and would be my choice, especially to live in the orange growing areas around Silves. More english speakers but the town can be invaded by motor caravans in winter.
Depends how ethnic you want to go.

• Reis & Pellicano International Lawyers
  • EI Banner

To post a reply, sign up and become a member!

Premium

By becoming a valued Premium Member today, your support will help the team continue to bring you useful content about life in Portugal. You can also:

JOIN TODAYOnly €25 per year
Share:

Join our community for Free, or subscribe for exclusive member-only content, support and hundreds of €’s in savings

Your membership comes with a 14-day, no-risk, money back guarantee. Love it or we’ll refund your money.

Community Member

Full access to our community Forum
FREE
  • Full access to community Forum

Premium Plus

Exclusive member-only content
€347 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Access to our private online Group
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • Weekly Q&A call with Carl Munson
  • Personal support
  • And help us grow this website and community
Popular

Premium Member

Exclusive member-only content
€97 Year
  • Browse the forum advertising-free (only see our partners)
  • Unlock your ‘12 part Moving to Portugal guide
  • Guaranteed entry to our webinars
  • Savings & freebies from our partners
  • Receive community support
  • Personal email support
  • Receive exclusive video content
  • And help us grow this website and community

Copyright © 2022 Expats Portugal

Marketing by Unity Online